The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

California Citations - Expired Reg & Current Tabs

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:21 PM by Drew. 8 replies.
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:26 PM

• JohnsonLp
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 3 2015
    • CA
    • Posts 4

California Citations - Expired Reg & Current Tabs

Hello All,

A few weeks ago I received an Expired Registration (4000 a 1) citation, this afternoon I received a Current Tabs not Displayed (5204a) citation.

I haven't had the money to renew the registration, however is it legal to combine these citations?

Obviously I can't display the current tabs, because I haven't renewed the registration.

Any advice would help. Thank you in advance.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: California Citations - Expired Reg & Current Tabs

Yes, both citations are valid, and you can keep getting additional citations for as long as you remain out of compliance with the law. 

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:35 PM In reply to

Stop driving that car until you've properly registered it.  If the officer checked the box that says correctable and gave you a date to have it fixed by, you get it fixed by that date and signed off or you will discover the fine has ballooned into a whole lot more money when they add a failure to correct charge.  On top of that, legally, the cop can tow your car when it's unregistered.  In other words, fix this now before it gets a whole lot worse. 

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:49 PM In reply to

• JohnsonLp
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 4

I keep the car parked in front of my home, It's not being used since the tags are expired. Can they continue to add more citations although the car isn't being used? Note: The car is in great shape and in perfect running condition.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:52 PM In reply to

• JohnsonLp
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 4

Thank you for your response.

The car isn't being driven. It's currently parked in front of my home. I wasn't pulled over by any officer. Note: The car is in great shape and in perfect runinng condition.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:55 PM In reply to

Yes, it can continue to be cited each and every day it remains unregistered on a public street.

And if you put it on private property where it is visible from the street it will be in violation of city codes and you'll be cited for that, too.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:59 PM In reply to

• JohnsonLp
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 4

Got it. Thank you for your response

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 4:21 PM In reply to

What do you mean by "combine these citations."

The two citations are basically for the same offense.  The cop who gave the VC5204(a) citation apparently gave you some benefit of the doubt.  Until you get this taken care of, you could easily get a new ticket every day or every hour.

I assume the same cop didn't give both tickets, and you probably won't get duplicates from the same cop.  Frankly, I think most cops wouldn't bother ticketing for an expired registration on a car parked on private property, but maybe your city is so free of crime that the cops have little else to do (of course, if the car is parked on the street in front of your home, that's a different story).  Until you can get this taken care of, I suggest you park it in such a way that the expired registration isn't readily visible to a passing cop.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:21 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

it's a money maker for some enforcement officer to give out citations for expired registrations....even our rather backward small city has a virtual daily sweep by what is essentially a parking enforcement person..  Unless you like being an easy target for tickets....get it off the streets or get it current ....around me if it doesn't move..it may get a tow sooner than it did years ago....City needs money.....

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community