AD&D Insurance

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jun 22 2015 12:33 PM by ca19lawyer2. 3 replies.
  • Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:59 PM

• sam1015
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 20 2015
    • CA
    • Posts 1

AD&D Insurance

I signed up for the maximum coverage for the AD&D insurance with my company. The maximum coverage is for $500,000 and the dependents are covered 20% of my coverage.I signed up during the annual enrollment period based on the guide provided by the company. In October, my daughter was involved in a fatal car accident. The company send my claim for $100,000 to the insurance company. The insurance company said there is a limit of $50,000 for dependent claim. Obviuosly my company is not even aware of the limits for the insurance coverage. I have paid for the insurance based on the $500,000 coverage. Can I sue my company for the difference as it was misrepresented to the employees and no mention of the limit was in the enrollment guide?

• Sat, Jun 20 2015 4:30 PM In reply to

Re: AD&D Insurance

I'd read the actual policy first.

• Sat, Jun 20 2015 7:00 PM In reply to

I'd go back and re-read the enrollment guide again, too.

Especially the part where it says something like "This is not the policy. It's just a summary. Nobody's going to be responsible for anything that goes wrong if you don't read and understand the policy."

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Jun 22 2015 12:33 PM In reply to

I assume your references to "my company" and "they company" are to your employer.

sam1015:
    Can I sue my company for the difference as it was misrepresented to the employees and no mention of the limit was in the enrollment guide?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  Whether you'll win isn't apparent from your post.  First of all, are you sure that you paid premium for $100k in coverage and not premium for $50k in coverage?  If you are sure, how do you know that?  Second, even if you did overpay, unless you have reason to believe that the difference in the monthly premium for $100k in coverage versus $50k in coverage times the number of months for which you paid the premium is truly significant, I don't think a lawsuit would be worthwhile -- particularly since such a lawsuit will probably result in you getting fired.

Your post is oddly silent about the conversation you had with the appropriate person at your employer regarding the discrepancy.  For example, if your employer has a benefits administrator, did you talk with that person (or someone in HR, etc.) about the situation?  If not, why not?  If so, what response did you receive?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community