The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

2nd Degree Burns From Supercuts

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:33 PM by cbg. 10 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 23 2015 6:16 PM

• rkrgs11
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2015
    • ME
    • Posts 2

2nd Degree Burns From Supercuts

My wife went to Supercuts today to have her eyebrows done.  The wax they used was extremely hot and she has burns under her eyebrows and large burns between her eyebrows.  Where should we go from here?  If these burns scar she will obviously have scars on her face for the rest of her life.

Thank you for your time.

• Tue, Jun 23 2015 6:37 PM In reply to

Re: 2nd Degree Burns From Supercuts

I am no lawyer, but my first place to go would be to a doctor or emergency room or something to have a look at whatever the damage is.

It seems like that would be your first logical step rather than to immediately post on a legal forum.  If you wife is burned, you should have someone take a look and make sure she is OK.  If not, get her treatment.

After that, you can consider a legal matter should there be one.

That's just my humble opinion.

Good luck!

• Tue, Jun 23 2015 6:41 PM In reply to

• rkrgs11
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2015
    • ME
    • Posts 2

My wife is a trauma surgeon the first thing we did was consult her trauma team.

• Tue, Jun 23 2015 7:06 PM In reply to

rkrgs11:
    My wife went to Supercuts today to have her eyebrows done.  The wax they used was extremely hot and she has burns under her eyebrows and large burns between her eyebrows.  Where should we go from here? 

Step 1 - Medical treatment. Without medical treatment there is no claim.

Step 2 - Determine whether that Supercuts store is corporate owned or owned by a franchisee.

Step 3 - Since this was your wife's injury, she is the one who will have to deal with it. She can put the owner of the store on written notice that she was injured due to the negligence of an employee (use those words) and is seeking compensation for the injury. The letter should name the employee and give the details of the incident and. to start with, close up photos of the injured areas.

Step 4 - Continue appropriate medical treatment and wait a week or two to see if she is contacted by an insurance company. If contacted, get claim rep name and phone number, mailing address, and claim number and advise that she is still in treatment and will contact claim rep again when fully recovered or when maximum medical improvement is attained (use those words).

Understand that nothing is going to happen overnight.

rkrgs11:

My wife is a trauma surgeon the first thing we did was consult her trauma team.

With what result?

Just talk?

Or did she receive treatment from a paid medical provider.

Talk won't get her a dime.

rkrgs11:

If these burns scar she will obviously have scars on her face for the rest of her life.

"What ifs" aren't worth a nickel.

If she doesn't get treatment to prevent scarring then she won't get paid anything if scarring occurs.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jun 24 2015 10:27 AM In reply to

rkrgs11:
    Where should we go from here?

Urgent care or a hospital emergency room.

Your follow up post indicates that this isn't what you really intended to ask, but I can't tell what you did intend to ask.

If your wife wants to pursue some sort of monetary compensation for what happened, she should speak with the store manager or owner and ask about the store's insurance coverage.  Unless they give her the runaround, she should be able to work with the insurer.  If she runs into any problems at any point, she may want to consult with a personal injury lawyer.

• Wed, Jun 24 2015 12:06 PM In reply to

First of all did she tell the tech the wax was too hot? Your wife is a surgeon yet gets her wax done at Supercuts? No offense but there are dozens of aesticians near her that were more qualified to do that.

The first step is to take pictures and then get medical treatment. Next contact Supercuts corporate and file a complaint. Then wait and see what happens to the burns. It is unlikely it will scar. It was probably a 1st degree burn, unlikely it was 2nd or 3rd degree. She will have to prove damages.

Its likely she will not suffer permanent damage or scars, but she can talk to an attorney.

• Wed, Jun 24 2015 12:48 PM In reply to

OliviasMom:
    First of all did she tell the tech the wax was too hot?

Seeing as how the OP's wife suffered second degree burns (unlike you, I have no basis for contradicting facts contained in the original post), I think it's pretty safe to assume that the wife conveyed this message in no uncertain terms (whether verbal or otherwise).  Were you thinking that the wife may have stoically suffered the pain and kept it a secret?

OliviasMom:
    there are dozens of aesticians near her that were more qualified to do that.

There are?  You know not only where the OP and his wife live or where she works but also how many aestheticians are in the area?  You're also familiar with the relative qualifications of those aestheticians?  That's pretty astounding (to the point of being utterly unbelievable)!

It is worth pointing out, however, that the OP's profile indicates he lives in Maine (a state that I doubt is teeming with aestheticians).  Curiously, according to the Supercuts web site, there are no Supercuts locations in Maine (or in either of the Canadian provinces that border Maine).  It appears there are six locations in New Hampshire (all in the Concord/Manchester area), so I supposed it's possible that the OP and wife live near the ME/NH border and that the wife commutes to the Concord/Manchester area for work.

By the way, whether or not there were other, subjectively better options is utterly irrelevant.

OliviasMom:
    It is unlikely it will scar. It was probably a 1st degree burn, unlikely it was 2nd or 3rd degree.

Notwithstanding what the OP wrote....  Now you're making medical diagnoses over the Internet?  Is there no end to your talents?!  "No offense," of course.  :-)

• Wed, Jun 24 2015 1:30 PM In reply to

CA lawyer give me a break. As usual you really provide no useful info and you usually just argue and banter back and forth with people on here. You sure are good and copy and paste though.

• Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:18 PM In reply to

OliviasMom:
    CA lawyer give me a break.

Channeling my inner David Lee Roth here.

OliviasMom:
    As usual you really provide no useful info

More ignorant commentary evidencing that you haven't read the bulk of my posts.

OliviasMom:
    you usually just argue and banter back and forth with people on here.

Actually, I usually refrain from such nonsense, but I'll make an exception because things are a little slow today.

OliviasMom:
    You sure are good and copy and paste though.

Gosh, thanks (although using the quote function on these boards hardly requires high-level computer skills).

At the end of the day, I'll stick to whatever sins you think I commit over:  (1) asking irrelevant questions that have obvious answers; (2) questioning where people choose to obtain certain services; (3) making ignorant comments about the prevalence of certain things in an unknown geographical area; (4) falsely claiming to know the professional qualifications of unknown persons; (5) ignorantly speculating about a person's medical condition; and (6) failing either to rebut or admit the truth of legitimate and pointed criticism (whichever may be the case) and, instead, engaging in ad hominem attacks.

• Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:29 PM In reply to

OliviasMom:
    The first step is to take pictures and then get medical treatment......Then wait and see what happens to the burns. It is unlikely it will scar. It was probably a 1st degree burn, unlikely it was 2nd or 3rd degree

I have to go with ca19lawyer on this one.  He did provide information, taking what the poster said were the facts.  Did you miss the part where the poster said his wife was a trauma surgeon?  I think she and her colleagues know a whole lot more about types of burns and scarring than you do.

• Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:33 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Curiously, according to the Supercuts web site, there are no Supercuts locations in Maine (or in either of the Canadian provinces that border Maine). It appears there are six locations in New Hampshire (all in the Concord/Manchester area), so I supposed it's possible that the OP and wife live near the ME/NH border and that the wife commutes to the Concord/Manchester area for work.

Well, as long as we ARE doing this:

I am quite familiar with both Maine and New Hampshire. There are, actually, several Supercuts in Maine.

https://www.supercuts.com/locations/me.html

Which is a good thing because someone who lived on the Maine/NH state line would have easily an hour's commute to get to Concord and/or Manchester (which are quite 20 minutes apart as it is). Now an hour commute is quite doable - I do a longer one myself - but it would probably be simpler just to stay in ME.

Not that I disagree with the spirit of calawyer's post.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community