Neighbor is a Hoarder - City Code Enforcement won't help

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:46 PM by Carol757. 19 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 30 2015 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: Neighbor is a Hoarder - City Code Enforcement won't help

djslay:
    offer to help them (physically and financially) to clean it up.

Incredibly bad idea. Won't work. Trust me on that. You'll see.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Tue, Jun 30 2015 1:04 PM In reply to

as others have said, I'd start with a polite do you need help picking your yard.

After that, are there any laws or fire issues involved you can call about to pick it up.

They might just let you cut the grass and clean it up if you are willing?  You likely have no idea what this family is going through right now.  Maybe someone passed away, maybe they lost their job, no idea.  But a little kindness can go a long way.

Good luck!

• Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:20 PM In reply to

• djslay
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 29 2015
    • FL
    • Posts 6

For sure.  The basis of the lawsuit would be the initial code violations and their failure to remedy.  Safety, health, abandoned cars, vermin, and our basic property rights to be able to enjoy our property.  The kicker is that their carport structure with the collasped roof encroaches on our property 2 feet.  This needs to be remedied so that clear title can be conveyed upon the sale.  That's why I think we need a good land use/property rights attorney.  :)  Thanks

• Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:38 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,370

I don't think a pile of code violations are a good basis to win a suit against a neighbor ..so far he has not even been cited for same! Pure waste of effort in my book.

HOWEVER..if his carport roof has collapsed and overhangs your yard ..that's a form of trespassing and a collapsed roof may be a pile of,safety and code issues if you can articulate them well...

• Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:46 PM In reply to

• Carol757
      Consumer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 10 2001
    • Posts 448

Two other suggestions

1) Some municipalities have hoarding task forces (mine does).  You might see if your county does too.

2) If the neighbors are elderly (not sure from your post, but you said they've been there a long time) and their living conditions are dangerous due to hoarding, Adult Protective Services may be willing to get involved.  

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community