The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

N600 Question

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Sep 15 2015 12:14 PM by vpm. 1 replies.
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 12:32 PM

• Ani_K
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 6 2015
    • CA
    • Posts 1

N600 Question

Hi everyone. I have been in U.S. for quite some time now and finally became a citizen by applying N400 and going through the interview and oath ceremony last year. Recently, I applied N600 for my son who is 17 years old. USCIS has received the application and it is in progress. My question is, my son is turning 18 in a couple of months. Will USCIS require him to go through all the steps that I had gone through since he is becoming an adult or will he still get the certificate automatically in the mail? We are in California. Los Angeles county. Thank you for your help.

• Tue, Sep 15 2015 12:14 PM In reply to

• vpm
      Lawyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 25 2009
    • MN
    • Posts 6

Re: N600 Question

This is not as easy a question as it may seem. If he is a "citizen by law," then turning 18 will not effect his eligibility for the N-600. But if he is acquiring his status under some type of eligiblity that is only allowed for children under 18, he will age-out.

If your case is not already resolved, you should hire an attorney to research the law and give you a formal legal opinion on this. Our firm does this routinely.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community