Dmv Error from State to State Wrongful Charges

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Aug 27 2015 10:12 AM by david wilson. 4 replies.
  • Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:35 AM

• Infamous303
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 22 2015
    • SC
    • Posts 2

Dmv Error from State to State Wrongful Charges

I was charged with driving under suspension in sc last year. I had previously been charged with dui 1st in Wa a few years before. My car was insured, no traffic violations, registered plated the whole nine yards. I had just been issued a new license a month before this whole ordeal. I recieved a letter from the dmv in sc stating that my license would be suspended due to an issue with washington state. Washington state wanted me to carry sr22 for their state till my term of 3 years was up. I contacted the dmv in washington an they told me that my sr22 for washington state would be falling off on feb 15 and that the system would automatically correct itself and notify the sc dmv. March 23 i got in an accident and was charged with driving under suspension 3rd. Now to say i have not always fallowed the rules but this time i did indeed have all my ducks in a row. I was jailed and held till my court date then was charged with the crime and sentenced 60 day and 2200$ in fines. I have paperwork from the wa dmv on my request showing that my licence was clear in their state and told me some bs about back log that it was an error. The facts are i am not guilty for the crime i was charged. I had sr22 insurance on a vehicle i owned that was registed and titled with taxes paid on a new plate. I also had a drivers license issued new to me less than 2 months previous. To also add to this while in jail i was in a wheel chair from the accident with many stitches and staples i couldnt walk and also was infected with mercer(the most deadly form of Staph) from the unclean " medical cell" which consisted of 3 sick people in a cell that was never cleaned. I have consulted lawyers and they have the same response pay me 2200$ and i might get you infront of a judge on new evidence.... 2200$ for him to say yea the solicitor rejected it.. Any advice..

• Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:49 AM In reply to

Re: Dmv Error from State to State Wrongful Charges

Having the physical license in your hand doesn't mean you have the privilege to drive.  SC notified you that your license was being suspended.  It was up to you to verify that your privilege wasn't still suspended in SC before you ever drove your car.  Most states require you to pay a reissue fee when there's a suspension.  It appears you pled guilty and none of what you're saying constitutes new evidence.  You knew all this before you pled.

• Wed, Jul 22 2015 9:14 AM In reply to

• Infamous303
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 22 2015
    • SC
    • Posts 2

I called and checked before hand. There was no fee to have it reinstated either. So how was i suppose to.... It had no reason to be suspended at all. The acciendent happened the same day the letter i received stated the suspension would be on that day. But the system didnt update itself so my what part of this is my fault... I pled not guilty too.. The judge even stated the reason was for washington state. This county i live in care about only one thing filling their jails and fines.

• Wed, Jul 22 2015 9:51 AM In reply to

I am no lawyer, but if you want to solve this, I think you are going to need one.

In my humble little opinion, I do not think it's going to be worth it.  For something like this, it's usually at least $2000 for the lawyer and there are never guarantees.  

Even if you hire a lawyer, and all goes in your facor, you are likely going to be out some cash.

I won't disagree with you, that in my observation, in the south, it seems to be all about filling up the jails and cash you pay in fines.  Virginia I'm told is even worse.  

I don't know this as fact, but from what I was told by a very unreliable source, SC jails actually receive more funding if they keep that jail filled up.  Then they hit you with a fine on your way out the door in court.

Sadly I know about this because I have an ex girlfriend that has been into trouble in the south (and north) many times.  From what I've seen, the south tends to fine more and jail more.  In the north, they tend to look the other way or at least that's been my experience.

My ex got 3 public intox arrests in the south.  In the north, the cop just rolls down his window and says if I see you here on my next patrol I'm going to arrest you.  Move it along.

I hate to say it, and you were probably totaly right, but you are now paying for past mistakes you made.  

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community