What are my rights as a mobile home owner

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Aug 23 2015 11:11 AM by karen2222. 4 replies.
  • Sat, Aug 22 2015 6:31 PM

• sldaven
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 22 2015
    • NV
    • Posts 2

What are my rights as a mobile home owner

I’m disabled and am trying to find out my rights about a debt that the management claims I owe. I told them that I would do the yard work in July. Yet they send someone out the last month of June to do so call yard work for $285.00. I took pictures of the so called yard work and my neighbor can also verify the lack of work done to my yard. I own my mobile home and they are trying to tell me that I have to pay this amount with in a week or they will put a lean on my mobile home. Could anyone tell me if they can in fact by law do this and if so what are my rights?

Also my yard isn't very big if that helps any.

I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Sincerely,

Sandra

• Sat, Aug 22 2015 9:38 PM In reply to

Re: What are my rights as a mobile home owner

It sounds like you aren't renting your lot space/yard but instead own it, and your mobile home is in some kind of "common-interest community" (homeowners' association) rather than a mobile home park where you only rent the lot space from the park owner/management.

If that is the case, then your rights are determined by your community's governing documents and by NRS (Nevada Revised Statute) chapter 116.

It's important what your community governing documents say about this, and of course I have no idea what they say.  You would need to obtain a complete copy and either read them yourself to see if they allow your management or executive board to do what they did, or give the governing documents to a lawyer to read for you.

As best I could tell from my speed-reading of NRS 116, NRS 116.310312 gives an executive board the right to perform maintenance and bill the unit owner if a foreclosure or a lawsuit to enforce a debt secured by the unit has been filed.  Are you aware of anything like that going on?

I googled "Nevada legal aid" and three organizations came up.  They are supposed to provide free or low-cost legal help for low-income people, so one of them might be able to help you.  Here are links:

Nevada Legal Services

Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada

Washoe Legal Services

• Sun, Aug 23 2015 8:09 AM In reply to

• sldaven
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 22 2015
    • NV
    • Posts 2

I do own the mobile home, but I rent the space it’s placed on. It’s a retirement mobile home park which is why it’s also the highest priced park in town. I’ve never had any trouble about my yard since I moved here in 2008. I don’t have the money to move at this time and do not want to end up homeless. So I have to say I’m very scared about this whole mess.

I just wanted to thank you Karen2222 for taking the time to reply to my question and for adding the links for legal help.

Sincerely,

Sandra

• Sun, Aug 23 2015 10:25 AM In reply to

sldaven:
    I do own the mobile home, but I rent the space it’s placed on.

In that case, your rights (and obligations) are described in the contract you signed to rent the space and also in NRS Chapter 118B.

Do you have a copy of all the papers you've signed defining your contractual relationship with this mobile home park?  To know whether your landlord (park owner) is violating your contract, you need to read them and/or get a lawyer to read them and explain them to you.

NRS 118B.120 gives the landlord the right to do lot maintenance for a tenant who fails to do whatever lot maintenance he or she is required to do, and charge the cost to the tenant.  If you think your landlord is trying to charge you more than he paid, you can try asking for copies of his receipts.  But if your contract requires you to do certain lot maintenance and you missed a deadline set by your landlord to get the work done, then I think you're stuck paying him back whatever it cost him to do it for you.

• Sun, Aug 23 2015 11:11 AM In reply to

sldaven:
    So I have to say I’m very scared about this whole mess.

Seems to me you have two things to deal with:  (1) paying the landlord so your troubles from this incident don't grow and grow, and (2) making sure this never happens again.

If you have been a model tenant until now and this is the first time you have failed to fulfill your obligations, then it is very likely your landlord would be willing to set up a payment plan if you asked for one.  If you suspect your landlord of charging you more than he paid, you could express your surprise at how much the bill came to and ask to see the receipt.  But if you need a payment plan you want to be careful to keep things good-natured.  Maybe make it an issue of knowing who charges that much so you won't hire that landscaping company.  Or get agreement on a payment plan first, before bringing this up.

If the yard work is not something you can do yourself any more, then you need to think about other options.  Your children or nieces and nephews might be willing to do your yard work, or send one of their children to do it.  If that doesn't work, there are volunteer organizations in many places that help seniors and disabled people with chores.  Or possibly one of your neighbors who enjoys yard work might be willing to help you out, especially if you are friendly and there is something nice you do for him or her from time to time.  That would be the most reliable approach, since you know your neighbor will be doing his/her own yard work and that will remind him to do yours.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community