60 days notice given, but landlord wants $2000

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Sep 23 2015 3:47 PM by ca19lawyer2. 18 replies.
  • Wed, Sep 23 2015 12:54 PM In reply to

Re: 60 days notice given, but landlord wants $2000

"LEASE EXTENSION

Resident: ME

Address: Pennsylvania

New Monthly Rate: $1202

Effective Date: 5/1/2015

I/We agree to renew my/our lease on a 12 month basis at a new monthly rent. I further agree to provide evidence of renter's insurance, in form and content as required, prior to the upcoming anniversary date of my lease . Except for the changes contained herein, all other terms, conditions, and provisions of my existing Lease Agreement remains in effect."

• Wed, Sep 23 2015 1:55 PM In reply to

PATenant2015:

I signed a 1 year lease on 5/1 (5/15 - 4/30/16) with the same previsions as the pevious years with the same Automatic  Renewal Clause. The only change was the typical increase in rent for the year. Thus far I have paid through Septemeber 2015.

Does this help?

It helps clarify the facts, but it's not good for you.

I think everyone else had been assuming that the renewal that occurred in May 2015 was an auto-renewal and not an entirely new lease.  Since you signed a new one-year lease, the auto-renewal provision is irrelevant, and you're on the hook through April 2016, subject to the landlord's obligation to mitigate damages by finding a new tenant.  However, as I mentioned in my response to your original post, it sounds like the landlord is letting you buy your way out of the lease for $2k, which is a bargain given what you'd otherwise likely be liable for.

Did you not have any inkling in May that you might be looking to buy a house in the near future?  If you did, why did you agree to a one-year lease?

• Wed, Sep 23 2015 2:46 PM In reply to

No, I actually never contemplated moving until July when a friend of mine said there was a house for sale near by why don't you check it out. So, I did and before i know it I'm under contract. In, 2012, I was going to move, lived in the same place, and was told at that time that all I had to do was give 60 days notice. I've been renewing the same 1 year lease since July 2011. I had no reason to believe that I would be required to pay a buyout/termination fee. Hence why I was taken back by all this and really wasn't given a good explanation. It is what it is I guess.

• Wed, Sep 23 2015 3:47 PM In reply to

PATenant2015:
    In, 2012, I was going to move, lived in the same place, and was told at that time that all I had to do was give 60 days notice. I've been renewing the same 1 year lease since July 2011. I had no reason to believe that I would be required to pay a buyout/termination fee. Hence why I was taken back by all this and really wasn't given a good explanation. It is what it is I guess.

I guess it doesn't really matter for your purposes, but for the benefit of anyone else who might come upon this thread:  of course you had a reason.  It sounds like you didn't read the lease, which is hardly uncommon, but it's never advisable to sign something without reading it and making sure that the terms of the written agreement are consistent with any verbal representations that have been made.

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community