DUI - prescription med

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Oct 15 2015 11:52 PM by Cicijo. 19 replies.
  • Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:23 PM

• Griceok
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 12 2015
    • OK
    • Posts 5

DUI - prescription med

In Oklahoma. I had taken my medications for the evening which consisted of verapamil for blood pressure, hydrochlorazidide (water pill), anti depressant and an ambien. I started feeling very strange, my lips where numb and I felt pressure in my chest and couldn't get a good breath. I'm literally less then a mile from the hospital and my wife wasn't home. I decided to go to the emergency room and  I got pulled over off entrance to the hospital. They Said I was weaving. I literally had nothing to drink. I honestly thought they would let me go get checked. They gave me a field sobriety test and said there was no odor asked so they asked me if I had taken any medication. I said I did. They arrested me for DUI. I submitted to a blood test which I haven't gotten the results back. I have never had anything like this. My wife came to get me and I was so shook up I just went home.

Any advice?

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:40 PM In reply to

Re: DUI - prescription med

Griceok:
    Any advice?

Hire a lawyer.  It is a common misperception that DUI only refers to alcohol when the reality is that while alcohol is the most common substance that imparis driving prescription medication impairing your ability to drive can also result in a charge of DUI.

Ambien and antidepressants are two drugs that are known to cause impairment of consciousness that make it a recommended you not operate a motor vehicle while using it.  

Griceok:
    My wife came to get me and I was so shook up I just went home.

It is a shame you didn't go to the ER and get checked out anyway.  If you had a medical evaluation that showed you had a condition i.e high or low blood pressure that affected you that could be used as a defense to the DUI if the blood test is negative.  

You need a good lawyer to handle this for you.  Use the "Find a Lawyer" feature to locate a lawyer near you.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:45 PM In reply to

An anti-depressant AND Ambien and you chose to drive.  You should be ridiculously happy you didn't kill anyone.

Griceok:
    I literally had nothing to drink.

That's a little like a serial killer saying, "hey, but look at the millions of people I didn't kill!"

Griceok:
    Any advice?

Find a good criminal defense attorney.  Be prepared to lose your license for a while and see your auto insurance rates skyrocket.

Next time call call 911.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:50 PM In reply to

• Griceok
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OK
    • Posts 5

Good advice and it just dawned on me that I should have went ahead and gone to the emergency room. My blood pressure was high, I took it at home and that's one of the reasons I decided to go. I'm certain my blood test will come back negative.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:56 PM In reply to

• Griceok
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OK
    • Posts 5

Thanks for your positive response. Hopefully you are incorrect, in discussing with the officers they said being my first offense and not even 1 ticket on my record they wouldn't expect concerns over losing my license but who knows. I will contact a lawyer.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:04 PM In reply to

As others have said, you should likely get yourself a good dui lawyer.

I personally hate that they call it DUI because that implies you were drunk.  It does not sound like that was the case.

I have my own personal thoughts on this, and of course I was not there to see you, but it sounds like you were impaired to drive.  That is dangerous to other drivers, 1 mile or not!!  And even to yourself it was dangerous.

I realize

It's a little late now, but next time, just call for a rescue if you feel such things.

It is unfortunate, but if you aren't used to taking this medication, you may not have been aware how dangerous it was for you to even think about driving.  It's really no different than driving drunk, as it does sound you were impaired.

All you can do from here is hire a lawyer and deal with this issue.  

I am sorry about your situation, and I hope you talk to your doctor about it.

I feel for you, because I had some eye meds that were given to me for glaucoma years ago and it never even occured to me the reason I felt strange from the drops.  The eye doctor later told me he didn't say what the symtoms might be for fear I would think I had them just by knowing them.  Well, I didn't get into your situation because of the eye drops, but I did have a few pretty scared when I was passing out on the floor.

Many don't realize, myself once included, that something you drop into your eyes can effect you.  I never would have thought it until it happened to me.

I wish you luck.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:11 PM In reply to

Griceok:
    Hopefully you are incorrect, in discussing with the officers they said being my first offense and not even 1 ticket on my record they wouldn't expect concerns over losing my license but who knows.

Incorrect about what?  That you should be ridiculously happy you didn't kill anyone?  I'm certainly not incorrect about that, but how you feel is obviously up to you.

Incorrect with my serial killer analogy?  While that might have been a bit of an exaggerated comparison, it certainly makes the point -- i.e., that not having had anything to drink when you took a cocktail of drugs that included an anti-depressant and Ambien is completely irrelevant.

I suspect you mean that you hope you don't lose your license for a while and/or see your auto insurance rates skyrocket, but all I said is that you should prepare yourself for those things to happen.  I did not say that they will happen or express any opinion about the likelihood of either or both happening.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:18 PM In reply to

superman1:
    I personally hate that they call it DUI because that implies you were drunk.

No, it doesn't.  "DUI" is an acronym.  It stands for "Driving Under the Influence."  In some states, "DWI" (Driving While Impaired) or "OWI" (Operating [a motor vehicle] While Impaired) is used.  None of those acronyms say or imply anything about alcohol or being drunk or what the driver or operator was under the influence of (or impaired by).  Some states may or may not have different statutes for folks who are drunk versus those who are stoned or impaired by other things, but "DUI," "DWI," and "OWI" are completely generic acronyms.

By the way, Ambien is a sedative used primarily to help the user fall asleep faster.  Even if the antidepressant weren't in the mix here, driving after taking Ambien is just plain dumb/reckless.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:27 PM In reply to

ca19lawyer2:

superman1:
    I personally hate that they call it DUI because that implies you were drunk.

No, it doesn't.  "DUI" is an acronym.  It stands for "Driving Under the Influence."  In some states, "DWI" (Driving While Impaired) or "OWI" (Operating [a motor vehicle] While Impaired) is used.  None of those acronyms say or imply anything about alcohol or being drunk or what the driver or operator was under the influence of (or impaired by).  Some states may or may not have different statutes for folks who are drunk versus those who are stoned or impaired by other things, but "DUI," "DWI," and "OWI" are completely generic acronyms.

By the way, Ambien is a sedative used primarily to help the user fall asleep faster.  Even if the antidepressant weren't in the mix here, driving after taking Ambien is just plain dumb/reckless.

Either way, the implication by many people seems to most of the time be the same.  The person was behind the wheel drunk.

That's just appears to be the assumtion I'm aware of. Perhaps I am wrong, and you are correct.  Perhaps most people assume a DUI means it could be prescription meds I guess?  Well, I stand corrected, and you are right.

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:34 PM In reply to

• Griceok
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OK
    • Posts 5

ca19lawyer2:

Incorrect about what? 

Yes sorry I should have said hopefully I won't lose my license. I also think your claiming I took a "cocktail" of drugs is a stretch. These are prescriptions my dr has ordered. No time did me mention concerns over the anti-depressants. In fact he recommends I take them when I get up. I just checked any warnings on the ambien bottle and it says "this MAY impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle. Use caution until you become familiar with the medication.

Trust me, I wasn't trying to get some buzz of a cocktail of meds and something I wished would not have happened. 

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 3:58 PM In reply to

Griceok:

ca19lawyer2:

Incorrect about what? 

Yes sorry I should have said hopefully I won't lose my license. I also think your claiming I took a "cocktail" of drugs is a stretch. These are prescriptions my dr has ordered. No time did me mention concerns over the anti-depressants. In fact he recommends I take them when I get up. I just checked any warnings on the ambien bottle and it says "this MAY impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle. Use caution until you become familiar with the medication.

Trust me, I wasn't trying to get some buzz of a cocktail of meds and something I wished would not have happened. 

for whatever it is worth, to me, it just sounds like you were ignorant of the fact that it could effect you in a negative way and you should have taken that more seriously.

Hey, that happens to many people.

That doesn't negate the part of the lives you may have risked obviously.  If you had hurt or killed someone, thank goodness you did not, but that would have been way worse.  Your worst case should be loss of license, etc.

If you are not used to taking medication which now you know you have to be careful.  I have no idea if the doctor warned you or not or if you were listening or not.  Many of us, myself included, did not realize, just because the doctor prescribes it, doesn't mean it can't effect your abilities to function as normal.  

Thankfully no one was injured and you are the wiser now.  

I hope this all works out for you.

Good luck!

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 5:05 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,404

Get a lawyer and stop trying to second guess meaning of words  IF you are charged with anything ...you  goint to talk yourself into a conviction if you are not careful...you admitted to taking " medications" ...

Here is my lay read.....if you were impaired due to reaction from medications you lawfully took..You are still big time vulnerable to,a DUI...whether you took the correct amount, too little , or,too much....or wrong ones ...

However if you were impaired /dizzy due to,an inner ear infection or a spike iin blood pressure not related to meds...you were not impaired by influence of any substance ...

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 5:07 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,404

I take it back....you were charged with DUI ...time for a lawyer skilled at DUI defense ..now .

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 5:36 PM In reply to

Griceok:
    I just checked any warnings on the ambien bottle and it says "this MAY impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle. Use caution until you become familiar with the medication.

You're supposed to read those labels before you take the medication.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Oct 12 2015 6:34 PM In reply to

• Griceok
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OK
    • Posts 5

Drew,

Great advice thank you. The officer came by tonight to give me the police report he failed to give me yesterday. He was almost apologetic. He said he did know I had not been drinking and noted that in the report. Said he would indicate how cooperative I was. The report noted that I told them I had taken medication but it did not say what. He also said this is the first offense and I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record so thought I should be able to get it dropped. I don't trust his judgment and will contact an attorney tomorrow,

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community