NJ speeding violation. Color of car way off.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Dec 18 2015 12:43 AM by Taxagent. 6 replies.
  • Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:07 PM

• Nvxs
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 14 2015
    • NJ
    • Posts 3

NJ speeding violation. Color of car way off.

Okay, I already know what to expect. "Slow down." I get it. It was dark and I just didn't realize the pace I was going cause I was keeping up with traffic. Not the greatest excuse. Anyways, I'm willing to pay for whatever. I get that. This is more or less a question. 

Well, I was driving my friend to the train station. I was a street away when a town cop pulled me over. I told him I didn't realize the speed that I was going, I was just trying to take him to the station so he didn't miss his train. He allowed me to go, followed me so he got there safe. Then met me at the station. He said you were going 56 in a 40 so here is a citation. If you wish to fight it or drop it down, call the court and schedule it. I thanked him. Told him I'd like to be a cop "since that's what I'm going for" he says "it's not fun" like it's going to sway my mind. We go about our business.

looking at the ticket. He marks my car as blue, when it's silver. The excuse that it was dark isn't an excuse since my car was under the lights of the train station. I took pictures of my little dink car, with the plate which is correct. All the scuff marks and scratches to show that it wasn't painted. And I'm ready to talk to the prosecutor if there is a case. That's what I'm asking anyone who reads this. If you think it'll be smart to do so. Thank you all for your time and I hope everyone has a great holiday!

• Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:19 PM In reply to

Re: NJ speeding violation. Color of car way off.

It's a minor error that will have no impact.  The officer can ID you as the driver and will testify. 

• Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:28 PM In reply to

• Nvxs
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 3

I don't think he shows up. He's a Sargent. I mean I had a seatbelt ticket. (Non moving violation) that was on. I took it to court. Told the prosecutor that I was wearing it. Explained that I took my civil service, taking my law enforcement test and at the time was a junior getting his bachelors in criminal justice and they let it go. 

• Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:31 PM In reply to

His rank has nothing to do with anything.  You are free to fight it.  Speeding is not a seat belt ticket. 

• Mon, Dec 14 2015 4:33 PM In reply to

• Nvxs
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 3

I'm aware that they're not the same. Okay, I guess I worded that wrong. Let me try and change it up. What would be the best way to talking it down? What I was trying to go for was I only had to deal with a seatbelt ticket and I don't know if it would be considered the same as a normal court or not. 

• Tue, Dec 15 2015 10:10 AM In reply to

Nvxs:
    Okay, I already know what to expect. "Slow down." I get it. It was dark and I just didn't realize the pace I was going cause I was keeping up with traffic. Not the greatest excuse. Anyways, I'm willing to pay for whatever. I get that. This is more or less a question.

So...just from this paragraph (and the subject header of your post), I can deduce that you received a speeding ticket and that you admit guilt.  I'm not sure why you think anything else is relevant, but we'll see.

Nvxs:
    I'm ready to talk to the prosecutor if there is a case. That's what I'm asking anyone who reads this. If you think it'll be smart to do so.

So...your question is whether it would be smart to talk to the prosecutor?  I guess that depends on what exactly you want to talk about.  In all candor, the notion of having a "prosecutor" for a garden variety traffic ticket is foreign to me, and I don't know what the officer means when he told you something about "drop[ping] it down."  If that was a reference to some sort of plea bargaining, I can't imagine what a speeding ticket could be "drop[ped] . . . down" to.  With all that said, what exactly would be the purpose of talking to the prosecutor?  If you think the officer's reference to your car as blue is meaningful, it isn't.  It's no more legal to speed in a silver car than in a blue car.

• Fri, Dec 18 2015 12:43 AM In reply to

The color of the car is only useful if the officer testifies and you want to try to attack his competence by pointing out the error on the color and then trying to expose other weaknesses in the officer's testimony  that might indicate he is not very observant. Then try to make the argument that if he was not good at observing all this stuff how reliable can his obervation that you were speeding be? But unless you are skilled at cross examination you might not fare well pursuing that line of attack.

As far as talking the prosecutor, I can't say for sure what might be effective since I don't practice in that state, let alone in whatever court this case is being prosecuted. In my state I'd approach the prosecutor in first time ticket case with an offer to plea to some kind of non moving violation in exchange for dropping the speeding ticket. In a lot of cases they are receptive to that. But whether the prosecutor in yoru case will bite on it, I have no idea.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community