Regaining parental rights

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jan 18 2016 5:35 PM by Drew. 22 replies.
  • Fri, Jan 15 2016 4:20 AM In reply to

Re: Regaining parental rights

Surprisingly, it appears his rights were, in fact, terminated.  Once terminated, he cannot regain those rights. additionally,  Mother could still file for support against the father ( or if she is receiving public assistance)- until such time as the child is adopted( if she marries and husband adopts).

• Fri, Jan 15 2016 6:59 AM In reply to

However there is no reason why he should stop paying support. The ex created the child, he should not have been able to just dump the kid and not support the child. If the child is special needs you need resources and he should have to pay support.

• Fri, Jan 15 2016 7:11 AM In reply to

OliviasMom:

However there is no reason why he should stop paying support. The ex created the child, he should not have been able to just dump the kid and not support the child. If the child is special needs you need resources and he should have to pay support.

exactly.  Otherwise, it may turn into a financial burden on tax payers to support the child.  If the father does not want to be a part of the child's life, that's his choice.  But it does not seem to me he should just walk away and not have to support the child he brought into this world.

• Fri, Jan 15 2016 8:10 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,417

That language does NOT terminate any existing duty to pay CS ....

• Fri, Jan 15 2016 8:40 AM In reply to

• Jlsikes
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 14 2016
    • GA
    • Posts 9

The CS is not my concern. I support my child and it's not easy but he has everything he needs. I just need him to be safe and I don't think he would be in the environment his father would provide. 

• Sun, Jan 17 2016 8:40 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,417

Why should just you or taxpayer support child.....dad also  has duty..get it so ordered ....what's not to seek for benefit of child 

Per what you post, dad has no rights to visits or custody 

• Mon, Jan 18 2016 7:56 AM In reply to

Jlsikes:
    The CS is not my concern.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it is wise of you not to pursue child support because of the last paragraph in your court order, where it says the father's agreement to give up parental rights is conditioned on the mother's not pursuing child support.

I am glad to hear from JoBraver that the father can't regain his parental rights, but I do think that if you have received notice that he has filed in court to change that court order and reinstate his parental rights, you shouldn't ignore it.  You always need to take lawsuits and other court filings seriously, and file your own legal response by whatever deadline applies.

• Mon, Jan 18 2016 5:35 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,417

we are missing parts of the puzzle, such as the nature of the prior support order ...and legal expertise as to GA matters.....but I read para 3 differently. I read it in context that it holds given Dad voluntary surrenders all custody then mom cannot pursue support ..but once dad challanges his own voluntary surrender, even if not successful, he opens up the entire back child support to being collected, if there was some in place at the time? Para 1 says Dad still has support duty..3 merely suspends 1 . 

Whatever, Mom needs counsel...

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community