Employer tried stealing from me and still failed to withhold

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Jan 24 2016 9:52 AM by cbg. 19 replies.
  • Sat, Jan 23 2016 10:00 PM In reply to

Re: Employer tried stealing from me and still failed to with...

Drew:

did you earn about $11,000 in 2015.....are the 2 w-2's together about right? 

No, they are not combined. The 1st W2 was incorrect. When I told my boss there was something wrong, he "fixed" it and the 2nd W2 is the corrected one. By my calculations I made $8,100 since July 4th so it is not far off. I just still don't understand how he can claim 2 dependents on a W-4 for me and with the way he tried to report only half of my income he can still get away with not taking any federal and he has no liability for it. By my calculations, if he would have reported my dependents and wages correctly, at least $11 a week of federal taxes would have been taken and I would have an income tax return. I don't get it???

• Sat, Jan 23 2016 10:12 PM In reply to

karen2222:

If you actually worked 24 weeks in 2015 and were paid $282.28 cash for each of those weeks, then that 2nd (corrected) W-2 seems OK.

By my calculations I worked 26 weeks, however, I never told him to claim 2 dependents. Since he did, I had no federal taken out. I should of had $10 to 11 dollars taken every week if he reported my dependents and wages correctly. Now I get no income tax return. I understand that I received it in my pay weekly but I don't understand why he is not responsible for these mistakes. I have a child the age of 14, if he took the proper federal taxes out, my estimates tax return is $2,100. However, with all his mistakes and no federal I only receive $404. Why??? 

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 7:06 AM In reply to

kmarshall937:
    if he took the proper federal taxes out, my estimates tax return is $2,100. However, with all his mistakes and no federal I only receive $404. Why???

NO ONE here on the internet is going to be able to explain to you why he did what he did. HE would have to do that and based on what you posted so far he isn't likely to. All you can do now is file your taxes and get a smaller refund. As long as he has paid you correctly and reported your income you don't have a legal entitlement to a larger refund.

Why you want a larger refund is beyond me. It isn't smart to make an interest free loan to Uncle Sam. A smaller refund is always recommended by tax experts.

And for heaven's sake find another job with an employer who isn't acting suspect with your paychecks as this one is.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 7:24 AM In reply to

kmarshall937:
    By my calculations I worked 26 weeks

So that 2nd W-2 is wrong as well.  Your gross pay should be reported as $8177 and all the other numbers should also be adjusted up.  He has until the end of February to submit his W-2/W-3 package to the IRS, so it is not too late for him to issue yet another corrected W-2.

You can report him directly to the IRS by phone, apparently, if he refuses to correct all his errors.  But in your shoes I would do that later.  Ideally after I'd found another job.  When he finds out you did that, he might get angry enough to fire you on the spot, which he might later get in trouble for, but of course his getting in trouble later doesn't help you make ends meet now.

You can also give him a signed W-4 for 2016 (keep a copy for yourself).  That will be your paper trail proving what you actually instructed him to do.  Though on page 20 of IRS Publication 15 it does say if you don't give him a W-4 he is supposed to assume the worst case (single, no withholding allowances).

The thing is, straightening him out will probably be safer for you to do after you no longer need his weekly cash.

kmarshall937:
    if he took the proper federal taxes out, my estimates tax return is $2,100. However, with all his mistakes and no federal I only receive $404. Why???

I'll assume you mean "tax refund," not "tax return."  I don't know where you are getting that $2100 number.  It seems odd to me that failure to pay the IRS $10 or $11 a week for 26 weeks makes the difference between a $2100 and a $404 refund.  $11 times 26 weeks equals only $286, nowhere near the $1700 difference between $2100 and $400.

• Sun, Jan 24 2016 9:52 AM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Do you understand that when you get a tax refund it means that you were having too much tax taken out over the course of the year? That NOT getting a tax refund means that the CORRECT amount was taken?

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community