The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Question on health coverage exemptions Form 8965

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:54 AM by Taxagent. 1 replies.
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:10 AM

• granmaw
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 4 2008
    • VA
    • Posts 50

Question on health coverage exemptions Form 8965

I'm helping my son with his taxes -- 4 in the family, income below $20K, live in Virginia which opted out of as much Obamacare as possible.  The kids were on Medicaid, the adults had no health insurance.  So -- we get that the answer to question 7a on Form 8965 (claiming exemtion because the household income is below the filing threshold) is Yes.  The question is what to do with Part 3 Coverage exemtions claimed on your return for individuals -- put everyone's name, the adults' names or no one's name.  As usual, the instructions were too obtuse to understand

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:54 AM In reply to

Re: Question on health coverage exemptions Form 8965

granmaw:
    So -- we get that the answer to question 7a on Form 8965 (claiming exemtion because the household income is below the filing threshold) is Yes.  The question is what to do with Part 3 Coverage exemtions claimed on your return for individuals -- put everyone's name, the adults' names or no one's name.  As usual, the instructions were too obtuse to understand.

I think you just didn’t read the instructions carefully because it is quite clear what you do. On page 6 of the Form 8965 instructions, the second paragraph under the Line 7a instructions states: “If you qualify for this coverage exemption, everyone in your tax household is exempt for the entire year. You don’t need to complete Part III.” (Bolding added.) So if you are eligible to check “yes” on Line 7a of the form you do not need to do Part III at all. Nothing obtuse about that instruction, IMO.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community