General questions about claim process & expenses of suit

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Sep 8 2016 11:43 AM by Taxagent. 37 replies.
  • Mon, Aug 15 2016 9:08 AM In reply to

Re: General questions about claim process & expenses of suit

DanWard:
    3-4 is patient, case manager, lawyer, another case manager office person. The 3 of them are vigorously involved in likely dozens of cases. For this reason they use their memory from previous communications and misunderstandings do happen. One sends a message to one of the others. That person sends a reply but c/o of the others, All trying to remember what is going on in the case

That's a description of life on this planet. :-)

DanWard:
    If you were a lawyer (maybe you are) how often would you meet in person with the client (assume no court trial)?

I'm not a lawyer. I spent 35 years in the insurance industry so I know some stuff.

There is still no cut and dried answer to that question. Even if I was a lawyer it would still depend on the kind and severity of the case so don't take the following as gospel and certainly don't go back to your laywer and say "Adjusterjack says you should..."

Anyway:

1 - First meeting - Interview client to determine details of claim. Follow up with any necessary investigation and document gathering. Put other party on notice of claim.

2 - Second meeting - Maybe a month or so after the first for a status. Could be done by phone.

3 - Third meeting - After the client has fully recovered or reached maximum medical improvement. Status, update, tie up any loose ends prior to creating demand package. Could also be done by phone.

4 - Fourth meeting - Review demand package. This is optional. Lawyers may not want or need the client's input in determining an amount to demand.

5 - Fifth meeting - Sign settlement agreement.

Some of those might not even be necessary. There may be a need for others. Lots of stuff can be handled by phone or email.

Many years ago I was in an auto accident. The other driver was at fault. I went to a lawyer. He got all my information and said not to call him, to just forget about it and he would call me when he got a settlement. Two years later he called, told me I'm getting X dollars, come sign the papers..

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Aug 15 2016 10:09 AM In reply to

DanWard:
    If you were a lawyer (maybe you are) how often would you meet in person with the client (assume no court trial)?

I am a lawyer and my answer is I  ask to meet with the client only when I felt it was necessary and productive to do so, which is not at all often; most of what I need from clients I can get by phone or by mail. There is little need to go to the trouble and expense of all sorts of in person meetings with clients. I'll meet with clients when they ask for a meeting, too, but then they pay for that.

A lawyer working on contingent fee will want to avoid those unnecessary client driven meetings as much as possible.

• Mon, Aug 15 2016 3:04 PM In reply to

• DanWard
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • SC
    • Posts 106

In reply to both messages we visited one lawyer and the next day called one on the phone. That one sounded like a good one and we met them the next day. So that was meeting number one where we sign the contract, give police reports, etc.

The next in person meeting was asked for by us as matters seem to become a little sketchy, and that occurred about 5.5 months in. We did get an e-mail every few weeks asking if our contact info has changed, any change in treatment, etc.

Early on we did ask if we would be in the communication loop before a demand letter, and also a chance to explain some errors we know are in the medical records and we were told "absolutely."

• Tue, Aug 16 2016 1:20 AM In reply to

DanWard:
    Early on we did ask if we would be in the communication loop before a demand letter, and also a chance to explain some errors we know are in the medical records and we were told "absolutely."

A lawyer has a responsibility to keep his/her client informed on the significant events that occur during the course of the representation and seek the client’s input on major decisions in the case. But again, most of that can be done by phone, mail, etc., without the need for a face-to-face meeting. In litigation there can be long stretches of time where nothing happens. In my practice I send out status letters to litigation clients every 90 days updating progress on the case, even if nothing has happened, so that they know that the matter has not been neglected and we are just waiting for something to happen (whether it be judge’s ruling, a response from the other side, or whatever). Some lawyers simply contact clients when there is something to report. Nothing wrong with that approach under the rules that govern the practice of law, but my approach helps head off calls from clients wondering why they haven't heard anything in months.

• Tue, Aug 16 2016 7:31 AM In reply to

• DanWard
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • SC
    • Posts 106

That sounds reasonable.

We are comfortable with the representation.

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 10:50 AM In reply to

• DanWard
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • SC
    • Posts 106

DanWard: Legal office person (not lawyer) misunderstood and thought the patient was requesting that the lawyer request an opinion letter. 

I'm still lost on the significance or consequence of that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The case manager thought we were asking for an opinion letter now. Not at all. 

We asked if the online portal conversation between doctor and patient would be part of the medical records. That is all we asked.

--------------------

We get a message about once a month asking if we are still treating and by whom whether there are changes or not. Also if our contact information has changed. One in person meeting 11 months ago.

• Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:44 AM In reply to

• DanWard
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • SC
    • Posts 106

If the insurance company shares liability and that was done on the property damage, does that give the lawyer a negotiation tool?

It appears the property damage was shared 65% and 35%.

Can the lawyer cry foul if they try to go with 100% and 0% on the personal injury.

How can someone be liable for a large percentage of the property damage and that driver not be partly liable for personal injury, "caused" by themselves per the 35% liability on property damage.

• Thu, Sep 8 2016 11:43 AM In reply to

DanWard:
    If the insurance company shares liability and that was done on the property damage, does that give the lawyer a negotiation tool?

It is a point the lawyer can make in negotiation with the insurance company. But the insurance company is not obligated to make the same settlement in the personal injury case or even to settle it at all, just because it did so regarding the property damage.

Page 3 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community