Stolen Jewelry - Maintenance Man at Apartment

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Aug 25 2016 12:24 PM by jeafra10. 20 replies.
  • Thu, May 5 2016 6:15 PM In reply to

• jeafra10
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 16 2010
    • CA
    • Posts 63

Re: Stolen Jewelry - Maintenance Man at Apartment

Wanted to post news on this case.  Friend has decided to hire an attorney that 5 other people at the apartment have gone with.   I think the LL/Owner would chew her up and spit her out if she goes into Small Claims Court because legal aid felt that if she doesn't have the name on the Small Claims Court paperwork right he could get out of it, also he won't answer her letters that she has sent three different times.  He is really playing&nb... and seek with everyone.  Will continue when I hear something.   

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:02 AM In reply to

• jeafra10
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 63

She did get together with the other people that had things stolen and the attorney that took the case wants $ 500.00 an hour win or loose..  So at this time she isn't joing in on the lawsuit.  She is finally getting to move out of the apartment but hasn't decided again if she will take owner to small claims court.  I think the landlord will give her trouble about the depoist, she has a clip board but I will be there to make sure we have the same list as the California Landlord/Tenant for what is normal wear and what is not.  They have been known to not give the depoist back. 

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:16 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,370

$500 per hour split 5 ways is not all that much.....and at least as posted, if the LL hired a convicted felon with all those problems and gave him master key to about 18 units ...that LL may have massive exposure ...what did attornery say?

• Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:19 PM In reply to

• jeafra10
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 63

Well my lady friend is 84 years old and that was just to much stress on her to pay him that kind of money, and he wanted money up front.  He took the case pretty quick because he said he was going to win a bunch for the other people.  To give a key to a felon that you hired as a felon and then give him a master key is insane.  On her lease it reads that they are not responsible for anything that happens to her things inside her apartment.  But when you give someone like this a key doesn't make sense.  He has been sentenced to 12 years in prison already.  The owner of the apartments is a very prominent person and when she wrote a letter to the editor of the paper they wouldn't publish it. 

• Thu, Aug 25 2016 11:39 AM In reply to

I'm just curious - if your friend had jewelry worth over $7500, why didn't she have insurance?

• Thu, Aug 25 2016 12:24 PM In reply to

• jeafra10
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 63

No she didn't have any insurance.  Funny that the owner of the apartments have given a few of the people that have been robbed  some money to keep quite but so far she has received nothing.  She sent him about three certified letters and he refused to accept them.  I think he is scared of her, I would love to loan her the money to take him to Small Claims Court.  She said maybe when she gets settled in the new apartment since she has to move, not only did they rob her, they have raised her rent.  I think period the end, the owner and landlord are both at fault.  They hired Maintenance Man knowing that he was a felon and he had been arrested before for robbery, plus they gave him the master key to all 100 apartments. 

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community