Car Title Problems

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, May 18 2016 9:31 AM by ca19lawyer2. 4 replies.
  • Tue, May 17 2016 9:18 AM

Car Title Problems

To make a long story short, my ex-boyfriend gave me his vehicle when he got a new one. At the time it wasn't fully paid off, but now it is. He still has the title. We are in different states (me MN, him PA). We are still on good terms and he says he will send me the title. What are my options if he doesn't send it?

• Tue, May 17 2016 1:01 PM In reply to

Re: Car Title Problems

bammertheblue:
    To make a long story short, my ex-boyfriend gave me his vehicle when he got a new one. At the time it wasn't fully paid off, but now it is. He still has the title. We are in different states (me MN, him PA).

The romance is over

bammertheblue:
    We are still on good terms and he says he will send me the title.

How long ago did he say that?

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

bammertheblue:
    What are my options if he doesn't send it?

If he doesn't send it you don't own the car and you've only borrowed it all this time. Eventually your tags will expire and you won't be able to drive it anymore.

MN allows for title with no proof of ownership under certain circumstances:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=638

If you can't qualify for that, and your tags expire, and he hasn't sent you the title, you might as well just abandon the car the street someplace and let it get towed away.

You will, of course, need to send him written notice that you will do that, as voluntarily being in possession of his car legally obligates you to a certain amount of safekeeping:

http://everything2.com/?node_id=191692

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Tue, May 17 2016 4:17 PM In reply to

athanks for the link. The car was just paid off at the beginning of the month. When we talked today he said he'll send it as soon as he gets it from the dealership. Thanks again!

• Tue, May 17 2016 6:39 PM In reply to

OK, then nothing has gone wrong yet.

Might take a couple of weeks for the dealer to get it back to him.

No sweat yet. :-) 

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, May 18 2016 9:31 AM In reply to

bammertheblue:
    What are my options if he doesn't send it?

Options for what?  If he doesn't send you the title, then you'll continue to drive his car.  Obviously, that could cause problems if you get in an accident or the car is stolen.  Also, when you purchased insurance, did you inform the insurer that you aren't the owner of the vehicle?

If your intent was to ask if you can force him to send you the title, the answer is no.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community