The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Kitchen Remodel

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Jun 21 2016 6:27 PM by karen2222. 5 replies.
  • Mon, Jun 20 2016 2:53 PM

• SG77
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 17 2015
    • GA
    • Posts 3

Kitchen Remodel

I hired a contractor to do a kitchen remodel.

To make a long story short, the contractor did shoddy work primarily on the painting of the brand new wood cabinets.  The doors and drawers have dog hair, dust particles and various other imperfections in the white paint.  I tagged each door and drawer that had an issue and the contractor took the doors and drawers that he felt were not satisfactory.  After he brought back the corrected doors and drawers they were worse than the original.  They feel as rough as sandpaper and have visible wood shavings. 

My ceiling was destroyed by the "fishing" for wires for new lighting.  The ceiling looks like it now has hives.  I mentioned this to him and he tried to correct but it is bumpy all over.  That he said was the best he could do.  My ceiling was flat previously with no holes.

The walls were painted but were not prepped at all.  This, I was told was because I wasn't paying enough money and didn't ask for prep work before painting.

I sent an email to the company half way through the project indicating my issues. 

After they said the job was complete, I sent a certified letter outlining the issues that I had with the job.

They are unwilling to negotiate and are demanding final payment.

What are my options ?

I have not paid the final installment yet because the job is so bad.

I have had other contractors out that have given me estimates to "fix" the issues.

• Mon, Jun 20 2016 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: Kitchen Remodel

GA, as of 2004, started requiring licensing for contractors.  The first thing you can do is file a complaint with them.  The info is at this link:  http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/licensing/plb/46

• Mon, Jun 20 2016 5:55 PM In reply to

• SG77
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 17 2015
    • GA
    • Posts 3

I have asked for their license number but they have not provided.

I also could not find them in the license database  

• Mon, Jun 20 2016 6:40 PM In reply to

SG77:

I have asked for their license number but they have not provided.

I also could not find them in the license database  

You still file the complaint because if they're operating without a license, that's a crime and that is who you report it to.  You can also contact the local building inspector.  Contractors are required to provide their license number and information to them.  I'd also look into whether or not a permit was needed and if they got it or not prior to making the mess they made.

• Tue, Jun 21 2016 8:56 AM In reply to

Start here:  http://ocp.ga.gov/consumer-topics/building-contractors.

Also consider making a claim against the contractor's bond (based on a very quick google search, it appears residential contractors are required to have a $25k bond).

• Tue, Jun 21 2016 6:27 PM In reply to

SG77:
    What are my options ?

I'd say at some point you will probably have to sue the contractor.  According to this, if the amount in dispute is $15,000 or less, you should be able to sue in Georgia's equivalent of small-claims court, Magistrate Court.

Be aware that if he is unlicensed and is not following all the Georgia contractor laws, you may have a difficult time actually getting any money out of him even if you win in court.  He may simply go out of business and disappear.

Here's where you should be able to look this guy up to see if he has a Georgia contractor's license.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community