H1b workers early terminated but company did not pay return?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:16 PM by JamyeP. 4 replies.
  • Fri, Jul 1 2016 10:47 PM

H1b workers early terminated but company did not pay return?

I was a H1B. I was terminated early by the company in AZ, the company did not pay me return expenses. Now it already passed EEOC 6 months deadline. How do I get my return expenses from the company?

Thanks

• Sat, Jul 2 2016 6:44 AM In reply to

Re: H1b workers early terminated but company did not pay return?

File a complaint with the US Labor Department.  You can find information here--> https://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm

• Sat, Jul 2 2016 8:02 AM In reply to

HIBdiscrimination:
    I was terminated early by the company in AZ, the company did not pay me return expenses. Now it already passed EEOC 6 months deadline. How do I get my return expenses from the company?

Read the contract you signed carefully.  Often H1B contracts are worded that if the employement is terminated early by either side the employer does not have to pay the return expenses.  If there is such a clause in your contract then they do not have to pay those expenses and have done nothing wrong.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sat, Jul 2 2016 8:19 AM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,053

As you've been told elsewhere, the EEOC is not the relevant agency here.

Those H1B contracts that say the employer doesn't have to pay return expenses? Best hope that the USCIS never finds out about them because by law, the employer does.

• Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:16 PM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    Often H1B contracts are worded that if the employement is terminated early by either side the employer does not have to pay the return expenses

Those clauses are illegal and unenforceable.  In submitting the H1B application, the employer agrees with the government that should they terminate the employee before their term is up that they will pay to return them to their point of origin.  It can be just giving them a one-way ticket home without covering moving their stuff or any family members, but they have to pay for the employees return.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community