Odd letter in the mail

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Aug 5 2016 12:37 PM by CJ. 5 replies.
  • Thu, Aug 4 2016 11:18 AM

• nicole97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 4 2016
    • IL
    • Posts 2

Odd letter in the mail

My husband has two child support cases, both are paid and current. One was modified last April. At that time, as per the usual modifications, we had to turn in the affidavit of income, paystubs, taxes, etc.  No problem. Recently, we got a letter stating they wanted all that information again with two blank affidavit of income forms, one for each case.  This was all in the same envelope. I know that neither of the mothers filed anything to modify. The letter stated it would be reviewed and his support would be adjusted (increase OR decrease) accordingly.  This is the FIRST time we have ever gotten anything like this in more than 12 years.  Almost like a general review.  We thought it was odd because he just had one done in April (and that one is included in the review).  It really just felt like a general "hey we are just going over all cases' kind of thing, but as I said, we'd never received anything like that. And they certainly never send both cases together, they are always treated separately.  In the case that was just modified, the oldest of the 2 kids just turned 18 and graduated from high school. I thought that might have something to do with it, but Illinois doesn't automatically reduce for that. For the other case, it hadn't been modified in several years, so maybe that, but then that doesn't explain why it included both cases. Has anyone ever received this? 

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 12:43 PM In reply to

Re: Odd letter in the mail

nicole97:
    My husband has two child support cases, both are paid and current.

I assume this means he has two (or more) children with two different mothers.

nicole97:
    Recently, we got a letter stating they wanted all that information again with two blank affidavit of income forms, one for each case.

Got a letter from whom?  Who are "they"?

nicole97:
    Has anyone ever received this?

Odds are that the answer to this question is yes, but someone has to be first, so it theoretically could be that your husband is the first.  Is this really the only thing you intended to ask?

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 1:56 PM In reply to

• nicole97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 4 2016
    • IL
    • Posts 2

Yes, there are a total of 3 children involved with 2 mothers.  The letter is from the Department of Family Services which is who sends all of the child support related mail.  You are correct, my husband could be the first. And no, I'm not just asking if anyone else got one. I was hoping for maybe a little feedback.  Though it would be helpful to know if others got that same thing. Then I know it's likely a general review.

• Thu, Aug 4 2016 4:57 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Termination of CS at 18/graduation is in some orders but not all...if it's not, don't forget to,petition to end it....its not automatic .....if one goes off it may impact split and amounts for other two ....

• Fri, Aug 5 2016 8:39 AM In reply to

nicole97:
    I was hoping for maybe a little feedback.

Feedback about what?  I'm not trying to be difficult, but nothing you've describe indicates any real legal issue, so I'm not sure what you want folks to address.

Also, FWIW, as far as I know, no one from Illinois follows these boards regularly, and the odds of someone in a similar situation happening upon your post are infinitessimal.

• Fri, Aug 5 2016 12:37 PM In reply to

• CJ
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 2 1999
    • CA
    • Posts 1,720

I think your best bet is to have your husband call the case worker and ask. Has the support been increased at all in 12 years?  Maybe after the last review is flagged something and they just need to double check that he's paying what he should be based on income. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community