The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Possession of Narcotics for a Trucker

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Aug 9 2016 7:53 AM by chandyrose. 2 replies.
  • Sun, Aug 7 2016 5:37 PM

• chandyrose
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 20 2013
    • MS
    • Posts 5

Possession of Narcotics for a Trucker

If this isn't the correct forum, I apologize. State of Mississippi.

A friend of a family member is a truck driver. He was charged in Nov. 2015 with: Violation of Logbook, Possession of Methamphetamine, Possession of Marijuana in MV. The arrest was found out by another friend of the family. What we found online only shows the possession charge, and does not list the amount. The trucker claims that he has taken care of it, or something like that, and just can't understand why it is showing up. He talks in circles and has told different stories, but he was definitely charged. I do not know if this is a first offense. An online search engine listed that he has had several more arrests. I have not paid for that service because in their reviews, after you pay initial fees, they want to charge more fees for info.

Questions - If convicted and it is first offense, will he lose CDLs and for how long? Where do I find out the information about that arrest, is it the courthouse?

• Sun, Aug 7 2016 10:39 PM In reply to

Re: Possession of Narcotics for a Trucker

I'm not in MS so I can only provide limited information.  The punishment for illegal drug possession can depend upon the amount found.  It looks like one-tenth of a gram of meth can get you up to 4 years in prison.  For MJ, unless it's over 30 grams, it's a misdemeanor.  Under 63-1-71, any drug conviction also carries a mandatory driver's license suspension of 6 months.  As for it "showing up," convictions are forever. 

• Tue, Aug 9 2016 7:53 AM In reply to

• chandyrose
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 20 2013
    • MS
    • Posts 5

Re: Possession of Narcotics for a Trucker

Thank you, JameyP.  I searched before posting, and could only find that information about the 6 month suspension. This may not be first offense, but I couldn't find further info on the penalty for that. Thank you for responding.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community