The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Auto Accident

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:10 PM by ca19lawyer2. 2 replies.
  • Mon, Aug 8 2016 12:39 PM

Auto Accident

My car was in an accident involving 8 other parked cars.

The wheel and the axle fell off/out the car and my car hit 8 cars until it stopped.

the air bags imploded  and the driver of the car was not injured.

No one was in the parked cars. It was a ripple effect.

I only had liability insurance which does not cover the damages.

What can happen to the driver or me since the insurance is not enough and I don't have anything to cover damages as well.

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:02 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

Re: Auto Accident

Your liability will cover the damages to the other cars to the limits of your policy.  do you know why the wheel and axel fell off/out of the car?

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:10 PM In reply to

Re: Auto Accident

sleeplessinCA:
    My car was in an accident involving 8 other parked cars.

By referring to "OTHER parked cars," that implies that your car was also parked.  That appears not to be the case, so I assume this was unintended.

sleeplessinCA:
    the air bags imploded  and the driver of the car was not injured.

I take it this means you weren't driving your car.

sleeplessinCA:
    I only had liability insurance which does not cover the damages.

Liability coverage won't cover the damage to YOUR car.  It may cover the damage to the other cars up to the limit of your coverage (assuming that whoever was driving your car was doing so with your authorization and was not specifically excluded).

sleeplessinCA:
    What can happen to the driver or me since the insurance is not enough and I don't have anything to cover damages as well.

Dozens of things CAN happen.  Your reference to the "wheel and axle [falling] off out the car" suggests the cause of the accident was not negligence on the part of the driver, so he/she should have no liability, and you should have no liability unless you knew or had reason to know the car was unsafe to drive.

While it may be that you won't ultimately be held liable, you and the driver certainly could be sued, so you need to report this to your insurance carrier ASAP, if you haven't already done so.  If you do get sued, your insurer will be obligated to pay for an attorney to defend you.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community