Tell me about lease renewal landlord

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Aug 15 2016 10:48 AM by ca19lawyer2. 10 replies.
  • Fri, Aug 12 2016 11:52 AM

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 16 2007
    • PA
    • Posts 299

Tell me about lease renewal landlord

I am a landlord, we rented out condo with a year's lease. My neighbor needed a place to stay and so we rented the condo to her, we're hardly there anyway, but that's not the reason why I'm asking for advice. The lease is up and I do not want her as a tenant anymore. How much notice do I have to give her, and can I simply refuse to renew lease? Florida.

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 1:37 PM In reply to

Re: Tell me about lease renewal landlord

Your profile identifies you as being in PA.  Your post mentions the word "Florida" without any context.  Where is the condo located?

Standing:
    How much notice do I have to give her, and can I simply refuse to renew lease?

I see no reason to think you cannot refuse to renew the lease.  However, what does it say about termination of the tenancy, renewal, notice, etc.?  For all I know, it says the lease will renew automatically for another year unless you give notice X days in advance of the expiration of the term.

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 3:13 PM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 299

The condo is in Florida. I don't have a copy of the lease at the moment, it is in PA where we moved from Florida. I am visiting in Florida. We own the condo. It's almost like a roommate situation, she was a neighbor, a good one, for many years but had medical difficulties and asked me if she could rent a room. We are not here a lot and said yes out of compassion for very little money. But I no longer want a roommate type thing OR a tenant. Her original plan was to be out box here by a year and the year is up. Management advised me her lease is up, even though I have free access by private agreement between her and us, to come and go as we please. Because management tcrequired a lease in order for her to stay here. So I think it's possible I'll give her a break because I feel sorry for her and allow her to stay with a lease for another six months to give her time to look for a place to stay, but raise her rent. She was paying only 375 plus utilities, and I think we'll raise it to $500 plus utilities for the duration. It's a beautiful condo in a nice area and as I said, we did it because we felt sorry for her. But my nerves won't take it under the circumstances. And I don't need the money that badly. So there's no law stopping me from raising her "rent" to $500. Is there?

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 3:30 PM In reply to

Standing:
    So there's no law stopping me from raising her "rent" to $500. Is there?

No, but you'd better darn well study up on the Florida landlord tenant statute about everything else:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083PARTIIContentsIndex.html

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Fri, Aug 12 2016 4:38 PM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 299

You're right. Thanks for link. I don't want to be a landlord anyway, the sooner this is over the better. 

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 4:47 PM In reply to

Good thinking.

I was a landlord for 20 years.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I'd never done it.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Fri, Aug 12 2016 5:58 PM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 299

I can understand that. Marriage is enough. Stress is too much, so even if it costs me to learn my lesson about being a landlord, the money is not worth it right now to keep being a landlord. I don't want to hurt the tenant, but...things are what they are. I have my blood pressure pills by my side.

• Sat, Aug 13 2016 8:09 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 299

Now I spoke to tenant who agreed to get out ASAP. But my question is about storage space, if I agree to hold on to items she can't take with her until she can get them out, what is my .liability?

• Sat, Aug 13 2016 8:16 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 299

Putting this on new subject about storage

• Mon, Aug 15 2016 10:47 AM In reply to

I don't know what your reference to "management" means.

If the lease term has expired, you're free to raise the rent upon giving proper notice.

• Mon, Aug 15 2016 10:48 AM In reply to

Standing:
    if I agree to hold on to items she can't take with her until she can get them out, what is my .liability?

If you agree to hold your tenant's property, you'll need to take reasonable measures to keep the property safe from theft and damage.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community