Landlord's liability for items left behind

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Aug 14 2016 2:20 PM by JamyeP. 8 replies.
  • Sat, Aug 13 2016 8:18 AM

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 16 2007
    • PA
    • Posts 313

Landlord's liability for items left behind

What is the landlord's responsibility if a tenant leaves items behind when she moves because she could not take them but wants them at a future time?

• Sat, Aug 13 2016 1:41 PM In reply to

Re: Landlord's liability for items left behind

You store them and follow the provisions in the FL code, section 715.104, et. seq.

• Sat, Aug 13 2016 4:57 PM In reply to

Or, you do not agree to store them at all and tell the tenant to hire a moving company and get her own storage place.

Allowing a tenant to leave stuff behind is the kiss of death.

Take my advice, don't do it.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sat, Aug 13 2016 8:10 PM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 313

OK, so how do I make it clear that I won't store her items? I can see problems arise if I let her keep items behind in the condo.

• Sun, Aug 14 2016 6:02 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 313

It's gonna be a problem, I'll try to work it out. I read some info from a law company and its hard to understand. 

• Sun, Aug 14 2016 6:03 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 313

Am I allowed under the statutes of Florida to do that?

• Sun, Aug 14 2016 6:08 AM In reply to

You are under no legal obligation twhat so ever to allow her to use your property as a storage unit. The key is to inform her in writing now that regretfully you cannot allow her to retain possession of the property by using it for storage. I agree with Jack on this one:  if you allow her to leave stuff behind you become legally responsible for it and she can take forever to retrieve them.  Don't do it.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Aug 14 2016 7:25 AM In reply to

Standing:
    OK, so how do I make it clear that I won't store her items? I can see problems arise if I let her keep items behind in the condo.

While telling her ahead of time might prevent it, legally if she leaves stuff, you can't just throw it away.  I gave you the statutes to look at.  You must keep the stuff and send her a written notice.

• Sun, Aug 14 2016 2:20 PM In reply to

He cannot force the tenant to hire a moving company.  He cannot forbid her from leaving stuff behind.  If she leaves stuff behind, FL has specific provisions on what the landlord can and must do.  AFTER she has vacated the premises, if she left stuff behind to pick up later, he has to send her written notice and has to give her no less than 10 days if the notice is personally delivered, 15 days if it's mailed within which to pick up her property.  I gave the poster the starting point of the relevant statutory provisions and that is what he needs to review.  It's pretty specific in FL. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community