Problems with child moving to the UK.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Aug 16 2016 9:05 AM by ca19lawyer2. 1 replies.
  • Tue, Aug 16 2016 6:01 AM

    • ChrisJohns
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Posts 1

    Problems with child moving to the UK.

    I apologize if this is in an inappropriate section - it was the closest category that I could find. 

    My partner lives is Georgia and has a 14 year old daughter by a previous marriage. The father of this daughter has given permission for her to come with her mother and join me in the UK, where I am a citizen. But when we applied for a US passport for the child we found that the father has reverted back to using his original name, Kim, on all of his ID whereas he was using the variation 'Ken' at the time of the daughter's birth so that name is on her birth certificate. Obviously, there are no name-change documents to support this and so the child cannot get a passport as there is no evidence that Kim and Ken are the same person and we do not know how to resolve this. My partner says that it is extremely unlikely that the father will voluntarily admit that he has used both names.

    Can anyone possibly offer advice on how to resolve this? My partner and I want to marry and settle in the UK with my partner's daughter and have a normal family life. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

    Thank you! 

  • Tue, Aug 16 2016 9:05 AM In reply to

    Re: Problems with child moving to the UK.

    In order to obtain a U.S. passport for a child under the age of 16, both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child.  If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.  See for more info.  If your girlfriend's child's father won't cooperate, then she'll need to seek a court order that specifically permits her to obtain the passport without his cooperation.

    Out of curiosity, has the father agree to the relocation in writing?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community