Can someone sue you before one gets there lawsuit money

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Sep 2 2016 6:02 AM by Drew. 6 replies.
  • Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:36 PM

• Danielu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 18 2015
    • TN
    • Posts 7

Can someone sue you before one gets there lawsuit money

Ok say I file and win a medical malpractice suit can someone I live with family movin out soon any how bout could someone accuse u of somthing and Sue you before you file a d finish a malpractice suit? Hate to say it like that but money makes people due strange things that want money and they are very capable of making somthin up an accusing family to try and take money

• Mon, Aug 29 2016 7:44 PM In reply to

Re: Can someone sue you before one gets there lawsuit money

Anybody can sue anyone for anything.  That you have or had a suit involving someone or something else has no direct bearing on it.

• Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:30 PM In reply to

• Danielu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 18 2015
    • TN
    • Posts 7

Ok but right now im on disability and have nothing to sue for

Can I be sued ahead of comming I to some money from an upcoming suit

• Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:35 PM In reply to

Yes.  You can be sued at any time if someone thinks you wronged them and owe them payment.

• Mon, Aug 29 2016 10:07 PM In reply to

Danielu:

Ok but right now im on disability and have nothing to sue for

Can I be sued ahead of comming I to some money from an upcoming suit

Yes.

Two answers to questions you didn't actually ask, but might want to know about:

Once someone has won a judgment against you, he or she can collect on that judgment whenever you acquire the ability to pay it, even if that happens years later.  Exactly how many years later depends on your state.

Each state protects some assets and income of a debtor from creditors (including people who win lawsuits against you).  Here's a link to the Tennessee Code.  The exemptions are described in Title 26, Chapter 2.  Parts of section 26-2-111 might well exempt some or all money you receive from a malpractice judgment or settlement.

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:53 AM In reply to

Danielu:
    could someone accuse u of somthing and Sue you before you file a d finish a malpractice suit?

In any future posts, please make a better effort to use something that resembles proper grammar, punctuation and sentence structure.  That said, of course the answer is yes.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.  Any particular reason you think this hypothetical lawsuit might have to wait for your medical malpractice case to conclude, even though the two cases appear to have nothing to do with each other?

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 6:02 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,404

IF you have reason to belive that somebody seeks to get your potential award ...there may be options to,shield or structure its  darn hard for others to get ....

If you mean that somebody is seeking to be paid off or else,they will report,some supposed illegal  act of yours to law,enforcement ...that threat is quite possibly a form of extortion ....and extortion may be be a way to get some time in jail !   For now..shut up  and keep,good,safe written notes of who threatened what /when/witnesses etc 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community