Quick Question

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Sep 2 2016 8:18 AM by ca19lawyer2. 7 replies.
  • Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:06 PM

Quick Question

My office has cockroaches. 

I have (usually) extremely mild asthma which (usually) doesn't cause any problems at all.  But its been causing me problems at work lately, which was unexplained until I overheard 2 co-workers talking about the cockroaches they've seen at the office, including one co-worker who said a roach walked right across his desk just as he was arriving one morning.  That kind of explains it because cockroaches do aggravate my asthma.

Do I have to officially claim to have an ADA disability in order to request that they get rid of the cockroaches as a disability accommodation?

Or can I just complain that the cockroaches are making me sick; please get an exterminator.

I don't really want to claim to have an official disability as my asthma is usually so mild that I am not at all impaired by it.

It is the cockroaches that are causing the problem.

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:43 PM In reply to

Re: Quick Question

You may certainly just request that the employer get rid of the roaches. How your managers will react to that, of course, I cannot say. But unless your union contract addresses this in some fashion, the agency will have no responsibilty to do as you ask unless you properly invoke the ADA or the state equilvant act. Under the ADA you might not have a disability as defined in that Act; the determination of whether it amounts to a disability is important because the employer only has to reasonably accommodate a disability.

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 10:18 PM In reply to

LegalSecy:

Here's how you get fast relief while your corporate bureacracy is plodding along just thinking about it.

Buy this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxforce-Complete-Granular-Insect-Bait/dp/B004WLXRIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472793116&sr=8-2&keywords=maxforce+roach+granules

If you don't want to wait for mail order, find a local Do-It-Youself Pest Control store.

They'll have it.

The granules are odorless. Sprinke some around your desk. Doesn't take much. This is what the pros use. I discovered their ant granules years ago and I swear that the stuff really works.

Why should you have to do it?

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

PS: nobody has to know you are doing it, if that's a concern.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:21 PM In reply to

Thanks.

No union contract any more.  No union any more for that matter.  Our governor got legislation passed that required all public employee unions to hold annual recertification elections in which the union must get 50%+1  of the votes out of all eligible voters (not just a majority of those who cast ballots -- in other words, not voting counts as a "no" vote).  For a state-wide bargaining unit  it would have meant running an annual statewide recertification campaign in which we had to convince more than half of all those eligible to vote, to actually cast a ballot every year and they all would have had to vote "yes"  (a threshhold that none of the elected officials who passed this legislation could have met, themselves, BTW).  Meanwhile, the union was required to represent everybody in the bargaining unit, over 8000 people, whether or not they were a union member, but was not allowed to charge fees for services to those who didn't voluntarily elect to pay dues.  It created such a free-rider problem that those who did elect to voluntarily pay dues would have had to pay tens of thousands of dollars per year each to cover the costs of running yearly statewide recertification campaigns and the costs of representing everybody who preferred to get all the union's benefits and services for free.    Some small school districts still have unions that recertify annually, but that is an easier bar to meet in a small school district where everybody works in the same building and everybody knows everybody else personally than it is in a statewide bargaining unit covering thousands of employees in 217 different job classifications (specified by the state in state statute, BTW), none of whom can be communicated with using their work e-mail address or telephone. So the state employee unions were all killed off by 2011 Act 10.

I have already asked 2x about getting an exterminator and nothing happened.  You'd think that uncontrolled cockroaches would be a public health problem, but I guess not.

I'm going to try Jack's suggestion for roach bait.

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:18 AM In reply to

How close are you to retirement?

:-)

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Fri, Sep 2 2016 5:31 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,419

Your string of posts suggests you are a bit of an activist....that's ok.....but some confrontations  are easy to avoid

..... Yes, roach infestations probably violate health or building codes ...unless of course state buildings are exempt .....

The consumer available products suggested by adjusterjack sure seem simpler, faster, and safer than bugging leadership .

Yes in my earlier roles I might have put up a poster and pinned the local kills to same ...or started a on line contest to catch the most roachs .....but those steps may get you banished to an obscure corner of building or worse 

Adjusterjack has a more prudent suggestion...

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 7:33 AM In reply to

Drew:
    Yes in my earlier roles I might have put up a poster and pinned the local kills to same ...or started a on line contest to catch the most roachs

Or send a box full of live ones to management. (He said facetiously.)

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Fri, Sep 2 2016 8:18 AM In reply to

LegalSecy:
    Do I have to officially claim to have an ADA disability in order to request that they get rid of the cockroaches as a disability accommodation?

This can't possibly be what you intended to ask.  Obviously, you can REQUEST anything you like, irrespective of any ADA issue.

LegalSecy:
    Or can I just complain that the cockroaches are making me sick; please get an exterminator.

Of course you can.

LegalSecy:

That's a heck of an assumption based (apparently) entirely on something you overheard.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community