Leaving the U.S. with large amount of cash

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Nov 25 2016 8:13 AM by CuriousInCa. 6 replies.
  • Tue, Nov 22 2016 4:07 PM

• Gern
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 22 2016
    • CO
    • Posts 2

Leaving the U.S. with large amount of cash

Me and my wife(who is from Thailand) were heading to Thailand and we had what we assumed was the correct legal amount $10,000.00 each, but when the jerks at Seatle international airport saw it, they made us miss our flight, and took us down in the gulag for a shake down, and accused us of being criminal. They found nothing criminal but they settled on that I was carrying some of her money(not sure what kind of crime that is?). They took a thousand from it and threw us out in the cold. 

How do I avoid this situation again? How do I declare my money? 

• Tue, Nov 22 2016 4:49 PM In reply to

Re: Leaving the U.S. with large amount of cash

If you are traveling internationally and don't tell them and they find the money, that makes them suspicious.  They are allowed to detain you.  Have the money in a clear plastic bag, clearly marked in your carry-on and declare it as you walk through.  They can still stop you to verfiy the amount so it you don't want to be stopped, don't carry a large amount of cash. 

• Wed, Nov 23 2016 10:07 AM In reply to

• Gern
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 22 2016
    • CO
    • Posts 2

So your saying "don't carry the amount of cash that the law allows"?

Brilliant, glad I didn't have to pay for that one.

• Wed, Nov 23 2016 7:34 PM In reply to

Here's another one that you don't have to pay for.

There is no limit to the amount of cash you can take out of the country.

There are just rules you have to follow when you do it, and you obviously didn't follow them.

Here's a summary of the rules from the US Customs website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

You could have saved yourself a lot of grief and money by looking it up before you travelled.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Fri, Nov 25 2016 7:59 AM In reply to

You can travel with any amount of money or other negotiable financial instruments (checks, moeny orders, etc) you like. 

You are required to declare amounts over $10,000.  

Avoiding trouble is really easy. Just fill out FinCen 105 and turn it in when you get to the airport. 

https://help.cbp.gov/a...

• Fri, Nov 25 2016 8:07 AM In reply to

JamyeP:

If you are traveling internationally and don't tell them and they find the money, that makes them suspicious.  They are allowed to detain you.  Have the money in a clear plastic bag, clearly marked in your carry-on and declare it as you walk through.  They can still stop you to verfiy the amount so it you don't want to be stopped, don't carry a large amount of cash. 

Bad answer. 

In advance of the trip, download the FinCen 105 form and fill it out. Get to the airport with enough time to visit a CBP office (usually in the internaional departures terminal), hand over the form and get a receipt.

Then go through normal TSA Security with your CBP receipt and your money. If TSA finds the money in a search, you need only show them the CBP receipt and you'll be on your way without delay.

There's no reason to limit the amount of money or finanical instruments you carry, other than fear of theft.

It's really not that big a deal and totally routine for CBP.  People travel with currency and negotiable instruments all the time. 

• Fri, Nov 25 2016 8:13 AM In reply to

Gern:

They found nothing criminal but they settled on that I was carrying some of her money(not sure what kind of crime that is?). 

Possibly they suspected "structuring" where one carries money so the other has less than $10,000.

Example:

Joe has $2,000 in currency. His wife Mary has $11,000 in currency.

Mary hands over $3,000 to Joe so she will be carrying less than $10,000 and avoid declaration. That's structuring.

A recent famous case of structuring involves former House Speaker Dennis Hastert. He was being blackmailed by his own former students that he had sexually molested in the past. Hastert paid off the blackmailers by withdrawing cash in increments of less than $10,000 from his bank, thus avoiding the FinCen reporting requirements,. When this came to light, Hastert was prosecuted for structuring. The statute of limitations on the sexual misconduct had already expired. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community