Massachusetts College Costs and changing child support

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Jan 3 2017 1:14 PM by Jsin70. 75 replies.
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 3:32 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Re: Massachusetts College Costs and changing child support

DAughter is in NJ or MA? 

instate tuition/costs  at say College of NJ is on par with UMass 

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 4:05 PM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 19 2011
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Child is still in NJ, I am still in Mass.  She actually switched from her private school to public school in 10th grade. Mom did not tell me that either.  I found out through a friend who lives in New Jersey. 

Her school does not class rank.  She has a weighted GPA of 3.57.  Her scores on her test were average 26 on act, and around 1060 on sat for 1600 scale, and 1600 on 2400 scale.  I don't think she will get merit aid based on those stats.  I will try to come up with mom's EFC. 

I looked up the schools she is applying to and how much they meet financial needs.  None of them are 100%.  The ranges are more like 50-60% of needs met.  So, does that mean if mom's EFC on a hypothetical 80K salary is est. 12K and the school only meets 50% needs met, they will only give her 6k?  This is not much on the 40K to 60K schools she is applying to.

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 4:29 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

THose socers are middle of the road to perhaps 80% percentile.....not great ...but still good enough to be in running for many schools .

I'd focus more on how winds are blowing in relevant MA court with jurisdiction .......seems to me UMass benchmarks well to TCNJ  instate ....and pay a share of same ....IF she picks a Land Rover and the bench mark is Jeep.....how she makes the spread is up to her ....you are in for 4-5 -6 years if you waffle ....and be sure you have written access to grades and course load etc ...so far there seems to be a credibility gap..and sure a few kids drop a course or flunk one ...but you don't want to be paying for somebody who is not a true full time student with passing grades or do you? 

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:09 PM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Thank you.  What is TCNJ instate mean?  If I benchmark toward in state school in mass or nj, should child support also be reduced? If so, by how much?  What should I suggest per the  new mass guidelines?  I guess this is not as easy as it sounds.  I probably need a lawyer..

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:45 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Sorry, TCNJ was short for The College of New Jersey ....it's instate tuition is on par with UMass and presumably your daughter qualifies for instate NJ rates ? 

I have no clue how MA does it's math....your post outlines the general parameters the court may consider..if the child is not living at home ..some of Moms costs drop but not many..and I doubt mom will rent out daughters room... ( Then again one mother near me who was gaming other rules as to residency, did just that when daughter graduated high school )

• Tue, Nov 29 2016 8:02 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Google topics like equal 3d s and UMass cap as they might apply to current MA winds...

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 4:23 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Earlier you commented on setting up a 529 for this child ...I think that plan invites  room for lenfthy debate as to how to account for same in the college support legal issues ....and I would take steps consistent with law/plan to get it off my plate entirely 

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:00 AM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Good Morning all, 

I never set up a 529 for her.  I was advised against doing so.  I was told that would come off the top of the bill, and then both NCP and CP split after that.  What do you mean by 3d's and Mass cap?  Few other questions, if the courts hold my child support at what it is currently, (20K) and then order me to pay toward college and my child picks a 60K a year college and gets no aid, I am completely petrifried about that.  I can't afford that....We will have another child in college at the same time two years after first child....  And then two more down the line.... and CP mom only has one child....

Again, she did not pick any in state schools but all expensive schools...... I think from all the  posts here, it sounds like the courts will stick with my current child support (maybe reduce a little) and order an amount toward an in state college cost and if she wants a more expensive school, she will have to make up the difference?

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:30 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

For example one MA attorney writes ( she has several articles on line )  this is a part of one 

The “Third-a-Third-a-Third” and UMass Cap Standards

Nature abhors a vacuum, and judges abhor a rule. Translation: if no rule exists, judges will try to invent one. In Massachusetts (and no doubt elsewhere), two common sense standards have emerged as accepted approaches for apportioning college expenses. The elegantly named “third-a-third-a-third” standard simply posits that the child, mother and father will contribute 1/3 of the cost of college each year, with the child expected to borrow this sum in student loans. Meanwhile, the “UMass cap” standard provides the obligation of parents to contribute to college will be capped each year at the cost of room, board, tuition and fees at UMass Amherst for that year. In many cases, these two standards will be combined, so that each parent’s contribution to college is capped at 1/3 of the cost of UMass in that year, even if the child elects to attend a more expensive private school.

Both the “third-a-third-a-third” and “UMass cap” standards are rules of thumb; in other words, they provide a starting point from which parties and judges can work towards resolving college expenses. Economically challenged parents will find even 1/3 of the cost of UMass (currently $8000+ per year) overwhelming. On the other hand, a judge may feel that very wealthy parents who insist on “capping” their contributions based on the cost of UMass are shortchanging children who could afford attend more expensive private colleges.  No matter how much we wish for one, there is no formula, and there is no definitive answer to how much parents should contribute to college or how contribution to college affects child support payments.  This analysis can be extremely factually intensive, and unlike the Child Support Guidelines, often examines far more than the parents’ income. Given that a judge has huge discretion to determine these issues, a skilled attorney is especially important.

About the Author: Nicole K. Levy is a Massachusetts divorce lawyer and Massachusetts family law attorney for Stevenson, Lynch & Owens, located in Hingham, Massachusetts.

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:43 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Your moral duty to help your other children downstream as to college may not be the same as your legal duties to do so...and future drains on your resource may be premature for a court to consider....in context of child covered by the current order . I'd not make the waters any muddier than they already are........

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:45 AM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Wow, this is very helpful!!  Do you think I should give this information now to my ex so she knows ahead of choosing a college and has time to think about it or do you think I should wait until we are in mediation with attorney's present?  Sometimes, I think knowledge is power and why not give her this information now so she has time to think about it.  But then again, could it hurt me be giving her this information upfront? 

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 6:06 AM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Yes, I am aware that I don't have a legal duty to my step children, but I do for my last child that is my biological son but he is only 8 right now.  It is hard to swallow, as I am closer to my step children ( I have raised them since babies) than my first child.  Not to my cause, she has been difficult to get close to on her own choice.  I have not seen her in over a year and she has not seen her step and half siblings in over two years.  She never calls me and I get an occasional text.  I have tried very hard to call, talk and see her with no luck.  CP wants me out  of the picture but wants all the $$$.  So, it is tough for me to swallow paying for an expensive private out of state college when she could care less about a relationship with me and my other kids love me greatly.  CP has gone to great lengths to alienate me and only contacts me about $$$.  It is a sad fact. So, it is what it is....  I am just wonderinig if I should share the common practices in Mass law as stated above now to my ex to try to prepare her for the  mediation. 

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 6:35 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

GIven the long history you post ....I would not give EX anything unless it was blessed first by my paid attorney 

IF you meddle now it's likely to be twisted to suggest you consented by acquience if nothing else to that choice of expensive schools ...

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 6:39 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

I doubt you have a legal duty to college educate your own son

But your financial resources are a factor included  under FAFSA for your stepchildren when that time comes 

Yes, there may be some math issues during the overlap with this daughter in college.... 

• Wed, Nov 30 2016 6:49 AM In reply to

• Jsin70
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 98

Interesting that I have a legal duty to college educate only one of my two biological children based on divorce?  Oh well, I guess that it is what it is. 

I am not sure on how if I send her an email saying that common practice in Mass in to pay 1/3,1/3 and 1/3 benchmarked to an instate public university portrays that I give me consent for an out of state private school?

If she knows my starting position, won't she be better prepared when discussing with the child than waiting until child says I am accepted to college A that costs 60K and college B costs 20K but I want to go to college A and CP says well we will just make NCP pay for college A then if she does not have any clue where I stand in it all or what common practice law is in the state?

Page 2 of 6 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community