lawsuit for land before ownership

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:23 PM by Nancy Z. 36 replies.
  • Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:30 PM In reply to

• Nancy Z
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 9 2016
    • TX
    • Posts 21

Re: lawsuit about oral hearing to deny default foreclosure

I requested an oral hearing to deny a default judgement against my husband and I that included a foreclusure prayer.

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:34 PM In reply to

• Nancy Z
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 21

Re: lawsuit: Hope the TI Co will follow through

Until it's over, ie money changes hands, the court says it's closed they dtop trying to foreclose, the bank starts withholding the correct amount of money and bills us, yes, then it's over.

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 8:18 AM In reply to

Nancy Z:

I requested an oral hearing to deny a default judgement against my husband and I that included a foreclusure prayer.

I think that unless you know from other people's experiences that showing up without a lawyer worked for them, you should make sure a lawyer representing you - whether provided by the title insurer or directly hired by you - also shows up to this hearing.  Just my personal opinion.  Most courts other than small claims seem to chew up and spit out self-represented non-lawyers.

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 9:58 AM In reply to

According to this discussion courtesy of NOLO, if the hearing determines that you do owe the back taxes, you should get the opportunity to prevent a foreclosure sale by paying the amount of the judgment.

Here's a link to Chapter 33 of the Texas Tax Code.  Scroll down to see section 33.53.  They have to tell the judge how much they think you owe, even if they haven't told YOU!

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:12 PM In reply to

• Nancy Z
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 21

Re: lawsuit for land before ownership

OK, found out that the reason we were not being billed for a portion of our property is because it was not joined to the part we are listed as owners of. A bank was listed instead, and the taxes were not being paid. We paid the back taxes and penalties even though we are not yet owners. The title company has agreed to pay part of this, later.

The suit should be resolved and we should get a clear title. I have a reciept for our payment and it shows the block, account number. I called the court and told them we had settled the dispute, they said it was passed. 

Thanks ever so much to everyone who wrote about this suit. It all helped at least some so that I could sift through the vocabulary and find pertinent details that applied and could be acted upon.

This site is great!

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:15 PM In reply to

• Nancy Z
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 21

Thanks for all your help, we paid the back taxes and penalties to the county tax assessor and the title company has agreed to pay some of it and help us get clear ownership of the portion that was not in our name yet. 

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:23 PM In reply to

• Nancy Z
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 21

This suit seems solved. We found out why we were not being billed, a portion of the property wasn't joined to ours in our name. We paid the back taxes and penalties, because we can now have legal title to that portion. The title company has agreed to pay some of it, the part before we bought the house and help clear the title. So we are hopeful that in time it will get all straight.

Thanks for your help. 

Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community