The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Travelling to Canada after convicted of DUI

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, May 17 2017 9:44 PM by lucas john. 5 replies.
  • Tue, Dec 13 2016 7:53 PM

• andy1289
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2016
    • TN
    • Posts 2

Travelling to Canada after convicted of DUI

I was convicted of driving under influence. I was convicted of damage to public property too. I am out from the rehab 3 years ago. I completely quit drinking and let go of the old lifestyle.

I have a friend who is in Vancouver, Canada now. She will be having her wedding in June. She is one of the close friends I have. During my hard times, she had supported me. I don't want to miss her wedding. 

I know that DUI case can deny me entry to Canada. When I searched google, I found some information about the pardon program. On this page http://www.pardoncanada.com/travel-to-canada/can-you-go-to-canada-with-a-dui-entry/ they have mentioned two ways to enter Canada after convicted of DUI. Getting a TRT or getting rehabilitated under Canadian Immigration law. The second one won't be applicable as it has been only 3 yrs after the completion of the sentence.

Which leaves me with the first option. So, these are the doubts I have on my mind. How likely am I to get a TRT? Is it a hard process? How much time will I have to wait? Do I have to put up any amount of cash for it? Do I need to consult an attorney for that? 

• Tue, Dec 13 2016 10:13 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

Re: Travelling to Canada after convicted of DUI

The only way to know the answer to your questions is to ask a Canadian immigration law firm as few US firms, wihtout a Canadian partner would deal with this.  The provision is TRP not TRT and this is the little I found from one of the Canadian firms that advertises on the internet:

Immigration officials determine whether a temporary resident permit can be granted, and the reason for which a person needs to enter Canada will be factored into the decision. Justifications can vary, such as entering for business or work purposes, seeing family members in Canada, or being required to transit through Canada to travel elsewhere. 

The other method, called rehabilitation requires the passage of 10 years since the conviction with no other criminal record and not all DUIs qualify for it.  So your best chance is the temporary resident permit.

Good luck

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 9:43 AM In reply to

andy1289:
    How likely am I to get a TRT? Is it a hard process? How much time will I have to wait? Do I have to put up any amount of cash for it? Do I need to consult an attorney for that?

I have no idea what a "TRT" is.  The article to which you linked mentioned a temporary resident permit ("TRP") as an option, so I assume that's what you intended.

According to the link contained within that article (did you click and read?), "[t]he Canada TRP application is a rather complex legal procedure. . . .  The application process requires you to submit the TRP form (or IMM 1444) and to prepare a compelling narrative demonstrating why you should be allowed to get into the country [and which] satisfactorily convinces immigration officials that you are truly rehabilitated of your past mistakes, and that you do not pose any risk to the people when allowed entry."

Beyond that, only a canadian immigration attorney or a U.S. immigration attorney who is familiar with this process will be able to advise you.  I suggest you contact one ASAP.

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 7:08 PM In reply to

• andy1289
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2016
    • TN
    • Posts 2

okay, Temporary Resident Permit is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. So, inorder to know the details, you suggest on seeing a Canadian law consultants, isn't that.

Thanks for assisting me.  

• Wed, Dec 14 2016 10:37 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

yes

• Wed, May 17 2017 9:44 PM In reply to

• lucas john
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 17 2017
    • Posts 3

I think the page has the answers to your questions. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community