The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

A limit on number of continuances?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Jun 24 2017 9:20 PM by Taxagent. 7 replies.
  • Sat, Dec 31 2016 8:04 PM

A limit on number of continuances?

Been in court for six years and 60 appearances at Daley Center Parentage Court,  having filed for modification of child support in October , 2010.  My ex has been through four different law firms, and has filed SEVEN emergency motions to delay hearing just before hearing throughout the years.   Each time she's given 28 days to get a new attorney, it turns into several months, with judges granting continuances and more time (though there are orders on file explicitly stating "no further continuances under any circumstances."), and of course then the new attorneys ask for continuances to get caught up on the mess.  She is now searching for her fifth law firm because her previous one got disqualified since my former attorney on the case many years back had merged with their law firm creating a conflict of interest.  In the meantime, my tax refunds have been seized the last couple years, there's been liens on my bank accounts,  my credit's smashed barring me from getting loans, etc, since the modification has never been adjudicated, which both judges that pretried the case said would be result in a reduction retroactive to that date.

What's in place to stop someone from so many continuances, delays, ad infinitum?   Seems like someone can employ such a strategy just to never avoid adjudication.

• Sun, Jan 1 2017 5:22 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Re: A limit on number of continuances?

SHe can play stall ball until the judge holds that enough is enough or you attorney convinces judge of same ...but ask your lawyer when stretch is likely to be over the line and be abuse .   That said, system favors one is entitled to representation and new attorney is entitled to somemrime to,come up to speed.to represent his or her client....stall ball is a well practiced art. 

• Tue, Jan 3 2017 1:56 PM In reply to

There is no limit to the number of continuances that a party may request.  It is up to the judge's discretion to grant or not grant a continuance.

• Wed, May 3 2017 4:32 PM In reply to

• GlennYost
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 3 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 1

I think they should put a limit on the number of continuances that are allowed.  I was curious on this same general question. Does this still apply in 2017? I think what freedom2013's experiencing is too common and unnecessary. 

• Wed, May 3 2017 4:40 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

Does what still apply in 2017?

• Thu, May 4 2017 8:30 AM In reply to

GlennYost:
    Does this still apply in 2017?

Does WHAT "still apply in 2017"?  My comment, posted on January 3, 2017?

• Sat, Jun 24 2017 6:11 AM In reply to

Hi ca19lawyer2 this is Nancy Stevens nanstevensjob@aol.com. I'm on the forum "How to sue a judge...  They did this to me.  It took me two years to get into court after they had kidnapped my children.  They would give me a court date and then put me 5th on the docket! knowing it wouldn't be heard.  They did not have jurisdiction and knew I had to drive 1000 miles just to get to court and pay for hotel rooms.  

When I did get in court I won and the judge would not sign his own court order!  BECAUSE the next court would have revealed the kidnapping!  They were "ear wigging" and the three legged stool" approach.  The day of the last court the judge and my ex's attorney (Christopher Tabb) were an hour late for court because they were in CHAMBERS without me trying to get out of the motions I'd filed for joinder and kidnapping.  (My last attorney had made me fire him after he filed the motion asking for an investigation into kidnapping by ex's previous attorney Shannon Elliott.  It would have had a trickel down effect and exposed both judges, 7 lawyers and TREASON!

Can someone help me get my case into the spotlight???  

• Sat, Jun 24 2017 9:20 PM In reply to

Andjustice4me2:
    It would have had a trickel down effect and exposed both judges, 7 lawyers and TREASON!

Whatever else went on here, it was not treason. Treason has a very specific definition. 18 U.S.C. § 2381 is the federal statute that makes treason a crime. It states: “Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason....” Those judges and lawyers in dealing with your custody issues did not levy war against this country nor did they give aid and comfort to any enemy of the United States.

Andjustice4me2:
    Can someone help me get my case into the spotlight???

I suggest you search for a new lawyer to review your case and see what, if anything, can be done at this point.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community