The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Disability Benefits to Retirement Benefits

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:34 AM by Shirschberg. 6 replies.
  • Fri, Jan 13 2017 11:11 PM

Question [=?] Disability Benefits to Retirement Benefits

Hello:

I will be 66 in February, will my Disability Benefits convert into Retirement Benifets immediatley?

Also, my Disability Benefits have made me eligable for receiving Extra Help Medicade State benifets which was just renewed on 01/01/2017.   Will the Extra Help be good for the rest of 2017 or will that be discontinued with the change over to Retirement Benefits - whenever that occurs?

Thank You.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 8:04 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

Re: Disability Benefits to Retirement Benefits

Yes, at 66 they will convert automatically to retirement benefits and you will not notice the difference, unless you look closely at the checks (if you get checks). The money just comes out of a different account.  It will not affect your extra help, unles your income otherwise changes.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 9:10 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply.

Is my Extra Help based on my Disability Benefit or my income level?

I thought I qualified for the Extra Help as a result of my Disability Benifet.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 2:00 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

Extra help is based on income.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 9:12 PM In reply to

Am I understanding correctly that my receiving Social Security SSDI benifets, has nothing to do with my qualifying for receiving Medicaide Extra Help from NYS?

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

I am not familiar with any special rules or regulations in New York, but everywhere I am familiar with all Medicaid benefits are income based and after you have been on SSDI for 24 months you are eligible for Medicare, regardless of income.

• Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:34 AM In reply to

My issue is about NYS Medicade Extra Help.   Yes, I have been on Medicare for several years due to qualifying for disability.

What I am not sure of is with the conversion of my SSDI benifets to Retirement benifets, will that effect my Extra Help benifets? 

I am trying to decide if I need to select a differant health insurance plan.  As of now the Extra Help I receive gives me a big discount on insurance deductabiles and co-pays,

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community