Dwai in NY and 2 DUI in CT

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jan 27 2017 3:14 PM by Taxagent. 8 replies.
  • Wed, Jan 25 2017 5:05 PM

• Ct2050
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 26 2017
    • CT
    • Posts 3

Dwai in NY and 2 DUI in CT

I have a dwai in NY and I have 2 DUI convictions in Ct. my drivers license is out of New York. I was wondering what the deivers suspension would look like. Can they suspended me for life for this?

• Wed, Jan 25 2017 5:23 PM In reply to

Re: Dwai in NY and 2 DUI in CT

Yes CT will report the convictions to NY and NY's motor vehicle department will treat them as if they occurred in NY and suspend your license.  Consult a NY attorney.

• Wed, Jan 25 2017 11:53 PM In reply to

The out-of-state convictions will get reported to the National Driver Register  and NY will find out about them. Those out-of-state convictions will count in NY as though they had occurred in NY. In NY, 3 DWI convictions in a 25 year lookback period can result in a permanent license revocation. You really need to see an attorney to find out where you stand and what is likely to happen to your license.

I suggest you also need to stop driving after you have had anything to drink. Alcohol impairs your ability to drive safely; your reflexes, perception and judgement are all affected. People drinking alcohol do not notice the impairment because the alcohol relaxes them and makes them feel good and thus capable of doing more than they really are. This leads to accidents. Moreover, each time you get caught driving DUI the penalties will keep getting worse. You are now at a point where you risk being sent to prison if you get more convictions for this offense. If you are having trouble avoiding alcohol when you’re going to have to drive later then that suggests an alchohol addiction that needs to be dealt with. Few people that have alcohol addictions are willing to admit the addiction until something really serious happens because of the drinking that forces them to face the problem. Let your 3 convictions be a wake up call to you that you may need help. Don't wait until you've caused an accident and seriously injured or killed someone to get that wake up call. 

• Thu, Jan 26 2017 3:54 PM In reply to

• Ct2050
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CT
    • Posts 3

I had a dwai conviction about 4 years ago and now I am going to court for 2 dui's that I got a few months ago. They are making me pled out to two misdoeanor dui because I never had a dui conviction in the past. I am asking what the suspension would
    Be like because I heard any 3 alcohol related convictions in ny is a life time suspension.

• Thu, Jan 26 2017 4:14 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,431

I don't know how much clearer to answer your question than Taxagent did:

The out-of-state convictions will get reported to the National Driver Register  and NY will find out about them. Those out-of-state convictions will count in NY as though they had occurred in NY. In NY, 3 DWI convictions in a 25 year lookback period can result in a permanent license revocation. You really need to see an attorney to find out where you stand and what is likely to happen to your license.

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 5:27 AM In reply to

• Ct2050
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CT
    • Posts 3

Would 2 misdoeanor dui convictions and a dwai conviction in NY be enough to have my license revoked for life?

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 9:17 AM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,824

Ask your attorney.  If you have two DUIs pending at the same time, you need an attorney.  Or apply for a public defender if you cannot afford an attorney.  Public defenders are attorneys.

I'm not in NY and am not familiar with its laws.  There is another thread on here indicating that anyone who applies for a NY license and has 3 in the prior 25 years is permanently denied a NY license.  I suspect they have similar law for persons who already hold a NY license.

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 1:39 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,431

Yes

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 3:14 PM In reply to

Ct2050:

Would 2 misdoeanor dui convictions and a dwai conviction in NY be enough to have my license revoked for life?

That depends on whether any of the convictions included a “serious driving offense.” If there were no serious driving offenses then you lose the license for 5 years and then when you do get the license back it will be with a problem driver restriction that requires you to have a ignition interlock device (IID) installed on every vehicle you drive for the next five years. If there was a serious driving offense then you lose the license permanently. See the NY DMV page Penalties for multiple offenders which explains this.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community