SSDI Representitive Payee

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Feb 16 2017 10:47 AM by Shirschberg. 19 replies.
  • Thu, Jan 26 2017 8:06 PM

SSDI Representitive Payee

Hello:

I am currently getting SSDI and have a Representitive Payee.  However, I am about to become of retirement age (66) and my benefits will change from SSDI to regular Retirement benifets (not sure how long the change over actually takes).

How will/does this change affect the requirement for a Representitive Payee?

Thank you.

• Thu, Jan 26 2017 10:18 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,410

Re: SSDI Representitive Payee

It will happen the month following your 66th birthday (the first month you would normally receive SSA payments if your weren't receiving SSD).  You may not notice since the amount will not change. It should not have any effect on the representative payee.

• Tue, Jan 31 2017 10:41 PM In reply to

I was checking my SS online and it appears that SS has already changed me from Disability to Retirement benifets.

Now, that my classification has been changed to Retirement - how do I go about removing my Representitive Payee and having my benifets go into my regular account instead of the seperate account my RP set-up?

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 8:24 AM In reply to

Shirschberg:
    Now, that my classification has been changed to Retirement - how do I go about removing my Representitive Payee and having my benifets go into my regular account instead of the seperate account my RP set-up?

According to this SSA webpage, the representative payee program applies to Social Security retirement benefits (not just to disability payments), so that won't change simply because you turned 66.

According to this helpful webpage courtesy of Nolo, to regain control of your benefits you have to show the SSA that you are now capable of managing your own money.  Scroll down to the "How can I get control of my money back?" section.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 8:52 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply and the links.

I understand the part about possibly loosing my benifets if a have my Representitive Payee removed - but if my benifets have been changed to Retirement then doesnt the part about loosing Disability become mute issue?

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 9:30 AM In reply to

Yes, it is a moot issue for retirement benefits.  In fact, even for disability benefits it depends on what kind of disability you have.  You can have a physical disability and not need a representative payee.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 10:08 AM In reply to

Being it is a mute issue, do you foresee any problems in my have my Representitive Payee reoved?

My goal is to have my direct deposits switched from the seperate account to my personnel account.

I was hoping to be able to do this on line, once I was changed to Retirement, but my SS online account stll says I have to call to have this done.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 1:54 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • NV
    • Posts 5,410

It would depend upon why social security required the representative payee in the first place.  It is usually because they don't believe you have the capactity to handle the funds without assistance.  If that has changed, you may e successful in getting the payee requirement removed.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 3:15 PM In reply to

I was diagnosed with PTSD, which I have from being involved with rescue & recovery work at  Ground Zero after 9/11.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 3:37 PM In reply to

Do you foresee any problems if my Representitve Payee were to contact SS and have my direct deposits switched from the Representitive Payeee account over to direct deposit into my regular checking account (differant bank)?

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 3:54 PM In reply to

According to the Nolo site, you will have to send the SSA convincing evidence that you are capable of handling your money yourself.  Do you know why you were assigned a representative payee in the first place?

I suppose your representative payee could try asking them if his/her telling them you no longer need a RP is sufficient to convince them.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 4:34 PM In reply to

What if my Representitive Payee remained as is, and my Representivive Payeee just called SS and gave them differant bank information for my direct deposits?

In other words I keep my Representive Payee (and dont have to prove anything), and my Representitive Payeee has my direct deposits switched to my personal checking account?

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 4:50 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • NV
    • Posts 5,410

If your representative payee is willing to take the risk of being sued by a future representative, if you misspend the money, then fine, but I wouldn't advise it.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 6:11 PM In reply to

I meant to say - that I would keep my current Representitive Payee, and just have my direct deposits switched to my personel checking account.  My Representiive Payee would remain the same.

• Wed, Feb 1 2017 7:08 PM In reply to

Being that I am now classified as Retired, will my Representitive Payee still be required to submit a yearly Representitive Payee Report?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community