text messaging

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:01 AM by ca19lawyer2. 9 replies.
  • Sat, Jan 28 2017 4:09 AM

• AJ51772
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2017
    • NJ
    • Posts 4

text messaging

I have received 2 letters and 3 text messages in the past year from an anonymous source citing that my spouse is cheating on me.  They are not threatening to me or to him.  Is there any way to find out who sent them or if this is criminal in any way?  

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 6:16 AM In reply to

Re: text messaging

There's no crime in sending information even if it's false as long as it isn't constant such to constitute harassment.  You can use a reverse look-up of the phone number to see who might be sending them.  There are several options available.  I use spy dialer.

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 7:25 AM In reply to

• AJ51772
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 4

Thank you for the insight.  Do you think it's harassment?  Do you think it would warrant getting cell phone records warranted or subpeona'd if I went to the police?

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 7:27 AM In reply to

• AJ51772
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 4

I hit send too soon.  I guess that you don't think that amount of contact in the time frame is enough to constitute harrasment?

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:06 AM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,824

Depends on state law.  Each state has its own criminal law.  In my state it doesn't matter if it is actually harassing - if the sender intends to harass, that is the criminal element.

Block the number.

You might contact the police anyway, since it is up to the police/prosecutor to figure out if there is a chargeable crime, not the victim.  And an investigation by the police might find out who the number belongs to.

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 10:32 AM In reply to

AJ51772:
    I guess that you don't think that amount of contact in the time frame is enough to constitute harrasment?

2 letters and 3 text messages in a year?  No, I don't find that anywhere close.

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 12:06 PM In reply to

Only couple in a year I dont think is harrssment. You dont seem too concerned that there might be some truth to that text. 

They could be using the Text Me app, which is an app that generates a totally random number to text and call from. 

If you have Facebook enter the number in the Facebook search field. If the have their phone number linked to their FB it will pull up their acct. I had a guy text me a very inappropriate picture, it was a wrong number. The idiot didn't realize it took me less than 5 minutes to find out his real name and that he was married and I also found his wife's facebook. I told him this. Made him sweat a little and scolded him for being so stupid as to send a pic like that to a wrong number esp when he is married. 

Good luck in your seach fo the truth. You may not like what you find. 

• Sat, Jan 28 2017 1:42 PM In reply to

• AJ51772
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 4

Thanks for the tips.  I am concerned but it's a sensitive subject and like anything, don't want to accuse without knowing for sure that trust has been broken.  

• Mon, Jan 30 2017 9:58 AM In reply to

AJ51772:
    Is there any way to find out who sent them or if this is criminal in any way?

It's arguably defamatory to your spouse, but it's not criminal unless you live in a state that still has a criminal defamation law on the books (which laws are rarely, if ever, enforced).  Yes, there are ways to find out who sent the texts.  However, you'd likely need to hire a private investigator, and it likely will be quite expensive.

• Mon, Jan 30 2017 10:01 AM In reply to

AJ51772:
    Do you think it's harassment?

Without looking up the NJ harassment law, I doubt that two letters and three texts over the course of a year would be considered "harassment" under the law.

AJ51772:
    Do you think it would warrant getting cell phone records warranted or subpeona'd if I went to the police?

The police can't get a warrant or subpoena without probable cause to believe a crime has been committed.

Have you contacted your cell service provider?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community