The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Community College Corruption

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Feb 3 2017 9:21 AM by KeaH. 19 replies.
  • Thu, Feb 2 2017 5:59 AM

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 2 2017
    • CA
    • Posts 9

Community College Corruption

My college's Spring term began January 14th and my online class's first day of instruction was January 17th. My college has a non-attendance policy which states if any student is non-active for 2 weeks from first day of instruction then instructors may drop them.

My instructor dropped me on January 26, claiming I was not active for 2 weeks. He then informed me that while I had made a post in the discussion board, I have not worked on any homework, which was due February 1. Therefore I am condidered not active and dropped.

My college has decided to not respond at all regarding the issue, and gave the California Community College Chancelor office the good old : we are working on it brush off. In order to have the college consider this problem they first made me waive my right to do any makeup work. The college plans to drag this on late into the semester so I will not want to be readded anymore because too many points are lost without make up possibility.

This class is offered once a year, and this will delay my application for second bachelor for a whole year. 

What can I do in this case?

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:12 AM In reply to

Re: Community College Corruption

KeaH:

I have no idea, but if you did not submit any assigned work by January 28, and all you did in that time was to post a comment (assuming comments are optional and don't count towards your grade), it'd be very clear to most people that you WERE inactive for the 2 weeks.

KeaH:
    In order to have the college consider this problem they first made me waive my right to do any makeup work.

Did you have a right to do makeup work in the first place?  Can you point to where it says that in any documents governing your relationship with the school?  If so, did you meet the criteria in those documents?

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:35 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

wait til next year or find another community college that offers the same course on line

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:41 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

karen2222:
    I have no idea, but if you did not submit any assigned work by January 28, and all you did in that time was to post a comment (assuming comments are optional and don't count towards your grade), it'd be very clear to most people that you WERE inactive for the 2 weeks.

Just a couple points of clarification:

1. Class participation does count toward the grade

2. I was dropped eve of January 25th, not January 28. 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:44 AM In reply to

karen2222:
    it'd be very clear to most people that you WERE inactive for the 2 weeks.

I suppose if nothing was expected of you in those 2 weeks, dropping you would be a bit unfair.  Come back here and say so if that's the case (i.e. your first clue that you were failing to meet expectations was being told you'd been dropped).

Although I still don't know what you could do about it besides following the college's appeal process.

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:46 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

DOCAR:

wait til next year or find another community college that offers the same course on line

That will delay my application for Master's for another year, and it was avoidable if the instructor could count 14 days from January 14th. I am actually pursuing legal actions in this situation. Would there be any recommendations on what kind of lawyer to seek out? 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:52 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

karen2222:

karen2222:
    it'd be very clear to most people that you WERE inactive for the 2 weeks.

I suppose if nothing was expected of you in those 2 weeks, dropping you would be a bit unfair.  Come back here and say so if that's the case (i.e. your first clue that you were failing to meet expectations was being told you'd been dropped).

Although I still don't know what you could do about it besides following the college's appeal process.

The syllabus stated that homework is due Feb 1st. The syllabus stated that I cannot be inactive for 14 consecutive days, which I made sure to avoid by making a post online in the required discussion forum. I was not notified at all that I was dropped or that I am considered inactive. I found out I was dropped when I went on to work on homework January 26 evening. 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:57 AM In reply to

KeaH:
    2. I was dropped eve of January 25th, not January 28.

Did you try to submit overdue work by Jan 28?  Also, is inactivity for 2 weeks the only circumstance under which your instructor can drop you, or do instructors have more leeway than that?  Did your instructor give you any warning that you were not keeping up and/or that you might be dropped?

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:18 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

No work was overdue by January 28th. The first homework was due February 1. I couldn't do any homework after the drop on January 25th evening since it was an online class and as soon as instructor dropped me from class I no longer have any access to discussion forum or homework. 

Yes. an inactivity drop was the only way my instructor could have dropped me after the start of the semester. 

No. he did not email me at all prior to the drop nor did he inform me that I was dropped. I found out myself when I tried to log in and then I emailed him asking why the drop occured. He then informed me why I was dropped. 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:29 AM In reply to

KeaH:
    The syllabus stated that homework is due Feb 1st. The syllabus stated that I cannot be inactive for 14 consecutive days, which I made sure to avoid by making a post online in the required discussion forum. I was not notified at all that I was dropped or that I am considered inactive. I found out I was dropped when I went on to work on homework January 26 evening.

Oh, so the reason you didn't submit any work was because their system locked you out?  Charming.

I'd imagine any contracts-law litigator (lawyer who actually goes to court) could probably handle this issue.  Your first step should probably be to print a copy of the college's enrollment contract to show the lawyer.  Be aware that suing is not a fast way to get results, nor is it cheap.

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 9:32 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

Thanks for your help! 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 10:12 AM In reply to

KeaH:

My instructor dropped me on January 26, claiming I was not active for 2 weeks. He then informed me that while I had made a post in the discussion board, I have not worked on any homework, which was due February 1. Therefore I am condidered not active and dropped.

My college has decided to not respond at all regarding the issue

Given the dates mentioned, it's barely been a week.

KeaH:

I'm sure you CAN do any number of things.  My suggestion would be to educate yourself about your college's appeal process and make use of it.

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 10:17 AM In reply to

KeaH:
    That will delay my application for Master's for another year, and it was avoidable if the instructor could count 14 days from January 14th. I am actually pursuing legal actions in this situation. Would there be any recommendations on what kind of lawyer to seek out?

FWIW, any litigation isn't going to resolve itself in time for you to get back into the class this semester, so I'm not sure what you would hope to gain from taking "legal actions."

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 1:27 PM In reply to

For online classes, if you aren't logging in and participating in any online classroom discussions (if there were any), you are condsidered to be "not attending".  The instructor can drop you for not attending, and many do the first chance they get.  Others will carry you through the term and give you an F at the end.

I think you did this to yourself.  

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 1:51 PM In reply to

KeaH:

Thanks for your help! 

You have nothing to lose by searching online to see if anyone else has sued this college for similar reasons.  If you do find anything, you can contact the plaintiff and ask if they're happy with their lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community