The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Community College Corruption

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Feb 3 2017 9:21 AM by KeaH. 19 replies.
  • Thu, Feb 2 2017 3:08 PM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 2 2017
    • CA
    • Posts 9

Re: Community College Corruption

Paddywakk:

For online classes, if you aren't logging in and participating in any online classroom discussions (if there were any), you are condsidered to be "not attending".  The instructor can drop you for not attending, and many do the first chance they get.  Others will carry you through the term and give you an F at the end.

I think you did this to yourself.  

I think you missed the part where I logged on and posted in an online classroom discussion. I actually started the first part of the homework too, I just didn't see the need to finish it prior to the February 1st deadline. But the instructor felt that was not enough to be considered "attending". He thinks I should have had something completed by the time he dropped me. 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

I talked to the instructor.

An email from the VP gave him the impression that instructors can drop non-attendant students when they see fit, whether they are non-attendant for 1 day or up to 14 days. 

Yet the college policy posted on the website said absence has to be equivalent to 14 days for instructors to drop.

Therefore the instructor thought he was doing me a favor by dropping me prior to full refund date, to save me a few bucks. 

What a mess. 

• Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:08 PM In reply to

KeaH:

Therefore the instructor thought he was doing me a favor by dropping me prior to full refund date, to save me a few bucks. 

What a mess.

Ha ha.  Hope it gets fixed, with no need for any lawsuits.

• Fri, Feb 3 2017 8:25 AM In reply to

karen2222:
    Hope it gets fixed, with no need for any lawsuits.

To the OP: before even thinking about suing, read California Code of Civil Procedure Section 128.7.

Also, I'm curious why you titled this thread as relating to "corruption."  You got dropped from an online class -- perhaps by mistake, but in any event, nothing in your post even remotely hints at any "corruption."

• Fri, Feb 3 2017 9:21 AM In reply to

• KeaH
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • CA
    • Posts 9

ca19lawyer2:

karen2222:
    Hope it gets fixed, with no need for any lawsuits.

To the OP: before even thinking about suing, read California Code of Civil Procedure Section 128.7.

Also, I'm curious why you titled this thread as relating to "corruption."  You got dropped from an online class -- perhaps by mistake, but in any event, nothing in your post even remotely hints at any "corruption."

The corruption comes in from the college's response. Yes they admitted that I was dropped prior to the deadline, yes they agreed that I attempted to do work, just not as much as the amount they would like. No they won't re-add me. Why?

1. it had taken so long to get this resolved so presumably I won't succeed in the class anymore

2. in an email sent out by the VP it permitted instructors to drop students as they see fit, regardless of drop policy published by the school on their website. 

I understand policy by the college is set at the local level, but seriously how are students suppose to know what policy is what if an email can change it?  

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community