The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Independent Contractor Income, and Business Deductions

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Feb 9 2017 9:57 PM by Taxagent. 1 replies.
  • Thu, Feb 9 2017 6:45 PM

• TR28
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2015
    • IL
    • Posts 24

Independent Contractor Income, and Business Deductions

I have two careers: 1) I am actor in the film industry, and 2) I work as a staff member at various events (trade shows, mall promotions, etc.).

I am paid as an independent contractor in both careers.

In 2016, my talent agent got me two acting jobs. For each job, I was paid $200, and I had to pay 10% of the $200 to the agent as a commission. For each job, the agent received a $200 check, and then sent me a check for $180.

On the Schedule C form for my acting career, what do I list as my gross income from these two jobs (Schedule C, line 1)? Do I list $360 (the amount I received after the agent took the commission)?

Or do I list $400 (the pre-commission amount)?

If I list the pre-commission amount, do I deduct the commissions as business expenses (Schedule C, line 10, commissions and fees)?

In my event-staffing career, one employer paid me via a third-party pay platform called Workmarket (www.workmarket.com). The employer sent money to my bank account electronically, via the Workmarket platform. The employer took 1% of my earnings as a "Workmarket fee".

For example, if one job paid me $17 per hour for 6 hours of work, my pay would be $102. After the 1% Workmarket fee, I would get $100.98. The $100.98 (after-fee amount) is what would be sent to my bank account. The invoice on the Workmarket website stated that my total pay was $100.98. The "Workmarket fee" was not mentioned at all.

So, on the Schedule C form for my event-staffing career, what would I list as my gross income from this Workmarket job (Schedule C, line 1)? Do I list the post-fee amount of $100.98? Or, do I list the pre-fee amount of $102, and then deduct the fee as a business expense (Schedule C, line 10, commissions and fees)?

Thanks in advance for any information.

• Thu, Feb 9 2017 9:57 PM In reply to

Re: Independent Contractor Income, and Business Deductions

TR28:
    Or do I list $400 (the pre-commission amount)?

If I list the pre-commission amount, do I deduct the commissions as business expenses (Schedule C, line 10, commissions and fees)?

Yes to both. The $400 was income you earned and you paid the agent his/her commission. This was not an instance where you worked for the agent and he or she paid you $360 for your work. 

TR28:
    So, on the Schedule C form for my event-staffing career, what would I list as my gross income from this Workmarket job (Schedule C, line 1)? Do I list the post-fee amount of $100.98? Or, do I list the pre-fee amount of $102, and then deduct the fee as a business expense (Schedule C, line 10, commissions and fees)?

The latter, for the same reason as with the acting jobs. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community