OPM income request

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, May 2 2017 10:45 AM by I M Free. 9 replies.
  • Fri, Feb 17 2017 4:34 AM

• RobbieJ
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 7 2015
    • TX
    • Posts 8

OPM income request

I received a form from OPM requesting my income earned for 2016. I reported $0 as I am not working. My question: Should I expect to receive this form annually? Until age 60? 

• Fri, Feb 17 2017 10:49 AM In reply to

• I M Free
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2007
    • Posts 852

Re: OPM income request

While the Earnings Survey comes like clockwork, if the answer is $0 the form need not be returned

• Fri, Feb 17 2017 5:41 PM In reply to

• RobbieJ
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 8

Solid answer. Thank you ' I M Free'.

• Sat, Feb 18 2017 4:18 AM In reply to

Just a slight caveat:  I have been told by others that this year, the form has been 'updated' and slightly changed.  While I have not seen nor reviewed the 'new' form, just make sure and follow the directions.  If it is unclear as to whether a return (even if you have made zero income) is mandated, certainly putting '0' and returning it will not hurt, but only had to the infinite bureaucratic needlessness for more paperwork.

Sincerely, Robert R. McGill, Esquire

• Sat, Feb 18 2017 10:44 AM In reply to

• I M Free
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 852

You are an incredible Attorney and Forum Leader. They changed the form for 2017, who knew?

Robby, sorry for the wrong answer this year!

"IF YOU DID NOT HAVE ANY EARNED INCOME IN 2016 PLEASE COMPLETE BLOCK 1 WITH ZEROS AND RETURN THIS FORM"

• Sun, Feb 19 2017 7:27 AM In reply to

• RobbieJ
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 8

Thank you both for the prompt guidance. I will submit the form annually. My little bureaucratic footprint..

• Mon, Feb 20 2017 4:28 AM In reply to

Good.  Caution in responding with any bureaucracy is always the key, especially when it is the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.  Also, sorry for the grammatical/word mistake in the last sentence above -- it should have read:  "...but only ADD to the infinite bureaucratic needlessness for more paperwork."  It must have been early when I wrote it, with crusty eyes blurring the otherwise clear vision of what we have to do in this world.

• Sat, Apr 29 2017 7:39 AM In reply to

• RobbieJ
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • TX
    • Posts 8

I mailed in the requested survey for income on 2/17/17. I received an additional survey request today. I earned no additional income for 2016. I accidentally filled in the 'zeros' on the 'Sample' portion of the form.

I would advise everyone to take this form seriously. Especially if no income was earned for the survey year. It is only prudent to assume that the 'primary ' reason for the survey is: A collection of data to determine which annuitants will receive the 'Medical Questioneer' at a later date. Again just my thoughts...

• Mon, May 1 2017 3:34 AM In reply to

Or just the incompetence of a large bureaucracy that engages in needless paperwork.  Regardless, you are right; this form should be taken seriously, as any form not taken seriously can jeopardize one's Federal Disability Retirement annuity.

• Tue, May 2 2017 10:45 AM In reply to

• I M Free
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 852

Its hard to really get to the bottom of this because if you visit the official OPM FAQ page you will read this:

"Regarding the Disability Earnings Survey, I did not have any earned income in 2015. Do I need to return the DES Form RI 30-2? View less

------------------------------------------------------

No, the form does not need to be returned.".

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/retire/index.aspx/faq9.asp?cid=e27b6e8a-cbeb-422c-b077-a8f76ef9028f&page=2

OR this:

"Disability Earnings Survey
    Retirement Services mailed 66, 027 Disability Earnings Surveys (DES) on or about February 9, 2016, to disabled retirees (annuitants) under age 60. This is a legally mandated survey that allows Retirement Services to determine if disability annuitants are eligible to continue receiving retirement benefits.
    The Disability Earnings Survey continues to be an affirmative response survey which means that the annuitant needs to respond only if he or she worked or was self-employed and had earned income. Responses from working annuitants must be signed, dated, and returned within 30 days of receipt. A daytime telephone number is also required. If the annuitant exceeds the earnings limitation, retirement benefits will be suspended effective June 30, 2016"

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/my-annuity-and-benefits/retirement-eligibility-surveys/

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community