Handicapped Parking Permits

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Mar 5 2017 6:19 PM by Drew. 2 replies.
  • Sat, Mar 4 2017 6:19 PM

• Marluna11
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 29 2007
    • NY
    • Posts 14

Handicapped Parking Permits

Hello,

My 85 year old father has a handicapped parking permit even though he does not drive. When he needs to go somewhere, my brother will take him.

If my brother drives Dad to the store, but Dad decides to stay in the car and my brother does the shopping for Dad, is it OK for my brother to park in a handicapped parking space?

Thanks.

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 10:01 PM In reply to

Re: Handicapped Parking Permits

Marluna11:
    If my brother drives Dad to the store, but Dad decides to stay in the car and my brother does the shopping for Dad, is it OK for my brother to park in a handicapped parking space?

Yes.  I believe that as long as the person to whom the permit was issued is along on the trip then the vehicle may be parked in a handicapped spot with the properly displayed permit.  At least that is what an officer told mewhen I used to do the same thing with my mother when she got her permit.  He said what family could not do was use her car/permit and use the space if she was not with us.  Parents of wheelchair bound handicapped children use the spaces all the time and those kids don't drive :)  There is no requirement that the permit holder actually leave the vehicle to use the parking spot that I am aware of only that they be on the outing and have a valid permit.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 6:19 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,376

Re: Handicapped Parking Permits

That debate has come up here before ...and it depends..the local view ma be that if handicapped person is not exiting or entering car then use of handicapped space is improper ......it may be an expensive debate to pick ....take care as to local winds ...

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community