The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

My wife and daughter were in a wreck a month ago

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Apr 11 2017 4:01 AM by adamchrly. 29 replies.
  • Wed, Mar 8 2017 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: My wife and daughter were in a wreck a month ago

If you do in fact have frame damage that significantly reduces the value of your car. I work in the auto resale industry and 90% of dealers will not buy a car with unibody, and most people won't if they know about it.

Unibody reduces the value by 30-40%. Talk to an attorney.

I have not seen adjuster Jack on here in a while, does anyone know where he has been?

Pull a car fax on your car. If the car fax shows unibody or frame damage, it's all over.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 12:42 PM In reply to

• Flousc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 7 2017
    • SC
    • Posts 13

How long does it take to show up on the carfax report? The car won't be ready until a week from tomorrow at  the earliest now. And that is assuming they find nothing else wrong with it. Also, they said the frame is actually fine. But either way, $9000 in repairs means we are likely getting back a lemon. Noone will buy a car with that much damage, frame or not. I know I wouldn't. 

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 12:54 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

From looking at google, there appears to be a cottage industry in South Carolina for dimished value claims.  Have you checked with any of them?

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 1:00 PM In reply to

• Flousc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • SC
    • Posts 13

I will look into it. I have googled plenty and not come across that. What is it? 

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 1:43 PM In reply to

• Flousc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • SC
    • Posts 13

Is it standard for me to have to pay my rental out of pocket after the 30 day period is up where my insurance pays it? I just had to pay 2 weeks worth of rental out of my pocket and now I am broke. Why can't they just bill National General since their driver was at fault? What is this process? 

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

Flousc:
    Is it standard for me to have to pay my rental out of pocket after the 30 day period is up where my insurance pays it?

Your insurer isn't going to pay anymore than the policy requires (30 days is standard).  After that, you either pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement from the at-fault party or his insurer or (hopefully), by that point, the at-fault driver's insurer will have accepted liability and will take over paying.

Flousc:
    Why can't they just bill National General since their driver was at fault?

I'm not sure who "they" are in this sentence, but the rental car company isn't going to bill the other driver's insurance company unless that insurer expressly agrees in advance to pay the bill.

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 5:43 PM In reply to

Flousc:
    Why can't they just bill National General since their driver was at fault?

Because National General is not YOUR insurance company.  You are not their client.  They owe you nothing until you reach a settlement or you sue the driver/company and a court of law says they owe you.  

Flousc:
    What is this process?

You get your car fixed.  Your insurance company goes after them for any expenses they paid they feel they should recover.  You make a demand for the expenses you incurred that was not covered by your policy and then you either reach a settlement or you sue the driver/company and head to court to try the case.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Mar 8 2017 5:58 PM In reply to

ca19lawyer2:
    What a load of nonsense.

It isn't and I will try to explain but listening with an open mind isn't one of your character traits.

Chiropractic Sham

From the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA)

JAMA Does not recommend Chiro for back pain

"Of all the alternative medical systems out there, chiropractic is one of the oddest. Unlike many of the others, it has a modicum of plausibility, at least for back problems due to musculoskeletal strains. After all, the science-based specialty of physical therapy uses spinal manipulation to treat back problems. Of course, the big difference between chiropractic and physical therapy is that chiropractic is based on a delusion, namely the concept of subluxations. To science-based specialties, a subluxation a painful partial dislocation. This is different from a chiropractic subluxation, which is claimed to cause disease by interfering with nerve supply to organs. Such subluxations have never been shown to exist, nor has it ever been shown that "innate intelligence," which to chiropractors is the organizing property of living things and a term originally coined by Daniel David Palmer, the founder of chiropractic.

Such is the reason why I like to refer to chiropractors as physical therapists with delusions of grandeur. They claim to be able to treat all manner of disease, not just back problems, by adjusting the spine. Even more unfortunately, among the alternative medical specialties, chiropractic is arguably the most entrenched, the most accepted, of them all."  [emphasis mine]

ca19lawyer2:
    Is the chiropractic "industry . . . based on" these things?  Of course not, and the very notion is silly.

The entire industry was founded by one man on this belief that subluxations interfere with the functioning of the body.  There is not one shred of scientific proof that any of it is true.  The notion isn't silly and had you done any research instead of making a snap judgment because I posted the informatoin you would have found that out.

ca19lawyer2:
    Are there chiropractors who do these things?

There is a small percentage that do practice responsibly but the majority of the industry is rampant with fraud and over treating and billing.  Yes, there are medical doctors that do this too but their industry is not founded on it.  The Hippocratic Oath states clearly FIRST do not harm  Chiropractors take no such oath.

If Adjuster Jack were around he would back me up on this 1000%.  The insurance industry automatically deflates ANY claim treated by chiropractics because of the over treating and billing.  

For 32 years I have been cleaning up the mess in the OR from chiropractors who completely misdiagnosed and treated patients with spinal cord tumors, herniated discs, myelopathy and other problems telling patients who were CLEARLY losing motor and sensory function that "just another month of 3 times weekly adjustments and they will be good as new" only to find out that by the time the patient got another opinion it was too late to get back what they had lost.

The last dirty little chiropractic secret:  1 in 500 patients will suffer a devastating neurological injury or death from cervical spine manipulation.  That is NOT a good statistic and one of my dearest friends DIED in the chiro office when he adjusted her neck and severed the vertebral artery.  She bled to death within seconds.  

You want to take a chance on those quacks go right ahead but if the OP has a shred of sense he will pull them out immediately.  His wife and daughter could feel just as good about their treatment getting a regular massage and not be at high risk for a neurological complication or over billed.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 6:25 AM In reply to

Where is Adjuster Jack?

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 9:10 AM In reply to

• Flousc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • SC
    • Posts 13

My insurance company works for me correct? So on behalf of me should I not expect them to make damn sure that the other insurance company has received everything they need to pay my rental after 30 days and go after them on my behalf? The other insurance company has accepted liability so that is not in question. Sorry but never in my life should I have to fork over $700 of my own money that I don't have to pay for a rental that is not my fault. I am broke now because of this and I see no reason that National General shouldn't be paying my rental after 30 days. 

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 9:11 AM In reply to

• Flousc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • SC
    • Posts 13

Clydesmom, What is your occupation? That may help me know whether or not to take you serious. Because you certainly seem like you have an agenda here. 

And sorry everyone I don't know how to do the quotes yall keep doing. 

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 1:20 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

So on behalf of me should I not expect them to make damn sure that the other insurance company has received everything they need to pay my rental after 30 days and go after them on my behalf.

What makes you think they haven't provided what the other insurance company need and the other company is just dragging its feet or feels that your car should have been finished in less than 30 days?  The other insurance company has no liability to you until a court says it does or until they have agreed in writing to settle.

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 2:45 PM In reply to

Flousc:
    Clydesmom . . . certainly seem[s] [to] have an agenda here.

As is the case with a number of professions.  Unfortunately, this person allows his/her personal biases to creep too far into his/her posts to the point where they are largely unreliable.

That being said, you need to keep in mind that everyone who responds here is anonymous, so you need to take anything anyone here tells you with a grain of salt.

Flousc:
    And sorry everyone I don't know how to do the quotes yall keep doing.

No need to apologize, but it's pretty easy.  When you click on the reply button and are taken to the reply screen, the post to which you are replying will appear in a gray block.  At the bottom of that block is a hyperlink that says "Quote."  If you highlight text within the message to which you're replying and then quick the "Quote" hyperlink, it will quote the highlighted text in your response (or you can just click the hyperlink without highlighting any text and it will quote the entire post).

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 2:53 PM In reply to

Flousc:
    My insurance company works for me correct?

I suppose this is colloquially accurate, and your insurer does owe you CERTAIN duties, but I don't think this is a particularly meaningful statement as phrased, so I will say that it may or may not be correct, depending on what you mean.

Flousc:
    So on behalf of me should I not expect them to make damn sure that the other insurance company has received everything they need to pay my rental after 30 days and go after them on my behalf?

Absolutely not.  SOME insurers will provide SOME assistance with this sort of situation, but there's no legal obligation to do so.  When you are making a claim against your own rental car coverage, your insurer's duty to you ends when it has paid what it is required to pay under the terms of your policy.  It is your own responsibility either to start paying after that or take necessary steps to ensure that the other driver's insurer agrees to pay once your own coverage runs out (or, simply, to start paying once it has concluded that its own insured's liability is reasonably clear).  Typically, if your car is still in the shop after three weeks and you have ascertained that it will or likely will be there after your coverage runs out, then you need to contact the other driver's insurer and find out how it wants to handle things.  All insurers have arrangements with particular rental companies, so it's possible that the other driver's insurer would want you to return the car you had and obtain a different car with a different rental car company.  Or it might simply take over payment for the car you already have.  Either way, it's your responsibility to make sure the other driver's insurer is aware of your need for a rental car and to make the necessary arrangements.

• Tue, Apr 11 2017 4:01 AM In reply to

• adamchrly
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 11 2017
    • AZ
    • Posts 1

My suggestion is to consult a better personal injury attorney who can handle this case effectively and also he will collect all the evidences from you and makes sure he will win the case for you.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community