bad online sale

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:19 AM by ca19lawyer2. 11 replies.
  • Thu, Mar 9 2017 1:51 PM

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 9 2017
    • OH
    • Posts 8

bad online sale

I got scammed on selling something online; they aren't going to pay me.  And I don't know their real name.  When I file the appropiate forms against them, if I get their name wrong, do I only get one chance at that?

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 2:57 PM In reply to

Re: bad online sale

zdenzel:
    I got scammed on selling something online; they aren't going to pay me.  And I don't know their real name.

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that you delivered or shipped this item to a person without knowing his/her name and without first receiving payment?  What do you mean that you "don't know their [sic] real name"?  Did this person give you a fake name?  How do you know it's not the person's "real name"?

• Fri, Mar 10 2017 3:17 PM In reply to

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 8

They used several different names.  I didn't notice.  

• Fri, Mar 10 2017 4:11 PM In reply to

So...I'll ask again:  Are you saying that you delivered or shipped this item to a person without knowing his/her name and without first receiving payment?

A couple of new questions:  How much $$ is at issue here?  Do you have an address for this person?  If this person used "several different names," do you have reason to believe that one of those names is his/her real name?

• Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:36 PM In reply to

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 8

Sorry.... I knew their name, but it was different from the one in our e-mail correspondance.

Several hundred.  And I do have an address.  After doing some reasearch, I was not able to find either name they used, as the owner of the property.

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:37 AM In reply to

You keep avoiding my question about having shipped the product without first receiving payment, which is really foolish, and I hope you've learned a lesson here.  Getting back to your original question:  if you name the wrong person in your suit, you can amend if you subsquently discover the correct name.  You can even amend a judgment after-the-fact, although that can be a bigger pain in the butt.

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 2:41 PM In reply to

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 8

Yes.  

So if it has the wrong name, does it just get thrown out?

Are there any recprucussions of threatning to sue, then not following through with it?

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:40 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,453

zdenzel:

No, see answer above from CA

zdenzel:
    Are there any recprucussions of threatning to sue, then not following through with it?

Generally no, but it  depends upon what you do.  If you say I am going to sue you and if you don't pay me I will have you arrested, is considered the crime of extortion in many states.

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:57 PM In reply to

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 8

I said I would file suit if I don't get the money for the product I sold them.  Is there anything wrong with that?  I want to make sure if I decide to not go through it, they can't counter me for some reason...

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 4:53 PM In reply to

zdenzel:

No.

zdenzel:

Legal repercussions?  No.

• Mon, Mar 13 2017 5:13 PM In reply to

• zdenzel
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 8

Is there something other than legal repercussions? 

• Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:19 AM In reply to

zdenzel:

Is there something other than legal repercussions? 

Of course.  You might get a reputation as someone who makes threats and doesn't follow through with them. In the extreme, all sorts of crazy things are possible.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community