How Can I get into Canada with a 12 year old DUI?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:17 PM by JamyeP. 4 replies.
  • Fri, Mar 17 2017 2:51 AM

• geosk1
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 17 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 2

How Can I get into Canada with a 12 year old DUI?

Hey! I am facing a bad situation right now. My employer wants me to go to Toronto in May for a business meeting. I would love to, but I have a 12 year old DUI charge in my name. I served the penalties and was allowed to drive. I have been driving responsibly since that incident. I have heard that even older DUI charges can prevent me from getting into Canada. I am worried if my old conviction can prevent me from going to Canada. I can excuse from this, but it may badly affect my career. I am looking for a way to avoid these troubles for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday, I read this blog: Can You Go To Canada With a DUI?. It mentions about getting a temporary resident permit will help me get into Canada. Do you think this option will help me? If I decide to get a temporary resident permit, will I get one in less than 2 months? I really hope this will work for me and is looking for advice from anyone who knows about it. If this option won't work in less than 2 months, is there anything else that'll work in such a quick time?

• Fri, Mar 17 2017 8:10 AM In reply to

Re: How Can I get into Canada with a 12 year old DUI?

These boards are for issues of U.S. law.  Contact a Canadian immigration lawyer (or a U.S. immigration lawyer located near the Canadian border or who has experience with this sort of thing) or, more sensibly, explain your situation to your employer and let your employer decide if your attendance is important enough to hire a lawyer.

• Sun, Mar 19 2017 9:18 PM In reply to

• geosk1
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 17 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 2

I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I thought someone here might have had experience with helping people cross the border. Anyway, thank you so much for the response. I will look for answers somewhere else, but if someone can help, please don't hesitate to give a reply. Thanks.

• Mon, Mar 20 2017 2:05 PM In reply to

No need to apologize for anything, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone who has expertise in this area from responding.  Just letting you know that you aren't likely to find any such person here.  Also, you might have better success posting about this on the immigration board than one about DUIs (while this obviously relates to a DUI, the ultimate issue is one of immigration law).

• Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:17 PM In reply to

Given the 2010 US Supreme Court decision in Padilla v. Kentucky, it's a pretty safe bet that any competent criminal defense attorney knows an immigration attorney that they can contact and/or refer their client to.  Try calling around. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community