Break a lease even before it has started... !!!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Mar 23 2017 2:38 PM by karen2222. 4 replies.
  • Wed, Mar 22 2017 6:53 PM

• chrisl1208
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 22 2017
    • GA
    • Posts 1

Break a lease even before it has started... !!!

Hello,

I signed my lease one month ago in order to get a discount. Unfortunately, I will be losing my job on 3/31. My lease technically starts on April 7th. I cannot see anything about early termination due to loss of job. 

Is there any chance that my complex apartment will let me go without any penalty?

They mention in the lease that "any fee waiver will have to be written, dated and signed by both parties" which makes me think that there may be some exceptions.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 10:13 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,469

Re: Break a lease even before it has started... !!!

chrisl1208:
    Is there any chance that my complex apartment will let me go without any penalty?

Sure, there is a chance, but the only way you will know for sure is to ask.

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 7:21 AM In reply to

I would inform them ASAP that you are losing your job. They do not have to let you out of it though. They may still expect first months rent while they look for a new tenant.

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 10:03 AM In reply to

chrisl1208:

No one here is in any position to say intelligently that there is absolutely no chance.  You won't know unless you ask.

• Thu, Mar 23 2017 2:38 PM In reply to

Just FYI, here is a helpful FAQ on breaking a lease in Georgia, courtesy of Georgia Legal Aid.

April 7 is only 2 weeks away, so the chances that they will let you just move out then without penalty are probably slim, but all you can do is ask.  It would of course help your odds if they have a waiting list of people wanting to rent apartments like yours in your complex, and hurt your odds if the complex has a high vacancy rate.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community