Zoning ENglish 101

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Apr 4 2017 9:41 AM by ca19lawyer2. 3 replies.
  • Mon, Apr 3 2017 5:44 PM

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,407

Zoning ENglish 101

It's  been 50 years since I diagramed a sentence...I'm stuck on this one ...in Pennsylvania  ...

Some quick zoning ordinance changes are being rushed into place...they only apply to Zone B ,, a tiny little buffer zone ..and that part is crystal clear ....but diagram the following and help me guess what it means in English..thanks 

" off street parking for retail  businesses shall be calculated at one per 600 square feet within zone B " 

I read it to mean that sentence does not address residential parking .  And I take it to mean say a retail hardware store of 6000 sq ft must provide for 6 parking spaces and said spaces are to be in zone B .....spaces in a remote lot 1/2 mile away in zone Q do not count as to meeting the 1 per 600 calculation. 

Some other other rule in some entirely different section applicable to all zones allows one to count parking up to 600' away towards ones quota

I read it in context that 6000 sq ft hardware store may count other parking it has  in zone B if its within 600 ' 

And some  other section covering all zones lays out detailed parking minimums ..lets say 1 per 300 sq ft of retail store .... I read this in context that while a hardware store of that size needs12 overall,   6 spaces in that zone within 600'' the remaining 6 could be a zone away and very different difficult to access due to the way roads run just so long as it's 600 ' as the crow flies since the 600' ordnance does not specify it must be some available walk path.  

Did I forget the sentence diagram rules....? 

THanks , 

• Mon, Apr 3 2017 8:49 PM In reply to

Re: Zoning ENglish 101

Drew:
    " off street parking for retail  businesses shall be calculated at one per 600 square feet within zone B " 

What that sentence says is that the off-street parking for retail business is computed as one space per 600 square feet that the business has in Zone B. Everything that follows the word “calculated” tells you the formula for figuring the number of space required. As written, it does not specify where the parking spaces must be located, though it would likely not be hard to convince a court that ordinance implies spaces are meant to be near or next to the business in question. It does not literally say that, however. Nor does it literally say that the spaces must be in Zone B. Had the locality wanted to say that, it would have written something like "Off-street parking in Zone B for retail businesses shall be calculated at one per 600 feet within Zone B." 

• Mon, Apr 3 2017 8:55 PM In reply to

Drew:

I read it to mean that sentence does not address residential parking .

Seems right to me.

Drew:
    And I take it to mean say a retail hardware store of 6000 sq ft must provide for 6 parking spaces and said spaces are to be in zone B

Well, your math is wrong (6000 is ten times 600, so 10 spaces) but the meaning of "within zone B" depends on the definition given for zone B.  You haven't told us what that is.  Is zone B a zoning district on the zoning map, such that businesses located in zone B have different requirements from businesses located in other zones, or is it indicated on some sort of diagram as an area a certain distance from the business?

• Tue, Apr 4 2017 9:41 AM In reply to

Drew:

but diagram the following and help me guess what it means in English..thanks 

This is English (and that you think otherwise is telling), and it's not really feasible to diagram a sentence in this forum.  Without any context, this appears to me to mean that every retail business in zone B gets one alloted off-street parking space for every 600 square feet the business occupies.

Drew:
     And I take it to mean say a retail hardware store of 6000 sq ft must provide for 6 parking spaces and said spaces are to be in zone B .

Absent context, I think that's an unlikely interpretation, but context is everything and you've provided none.  Also, "one per 600 square feet" would mean 10 spaces (not 6) for a 6000 square foot store.

Drew:
    Did I forget the sentence diagram rules....?

I have no idea, but your post suggests you forgot how to do simple division.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community