Cited for careless driving in Florida, but I am an Ohio driv

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Apr 5 2017 12:18 PM by ctsvcoupe. 6 replies.
  • Wed, Apr 5 2017 9:35 AM

• ctsvcoupe
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 5 2017
    • OH
    • Posts 3

Cited for careless driving in Florida, but I am an Ohio driv

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Florida

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got cited for careless driving while I was on vacation in Florida. Was going quite fast, and the cop was in the opposite lane. Then he got behind me, and I may have peeled the tires a little bit when taking off.

I assume even though I have an ohio drivers license, that the points will go on that and my insurance will find out if I waive it and pay, correct? Should I go back to florida and fight it? I see if you take a driver education class, they will withhold the adjudication and the points... but does that work if I have an ohio drivers license? What should I Do?

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 9:46 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,469

Re: Cited for careless driving in Florida, but I am an Ohio driv

Your Ohio license will only be affected by what Florida reports that gets to Ohio.  So, if no conviction, Ohio will not know about it.  No conviction, your insurance will not know about it.  The question you need to be asking, is will Florida allow a non-resident to take a driver ed class.

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 9:53 AM In reply to

• ctsvcoupe
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 3

Re: Cited for careless driving in Florida, but I am an Ohio ...

Interesting. I have a friend that lives down there. I guess I can always go down, swap my license from florida to ohio and then submit the driver course.

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 10:40 AM In reply to

DOCAR:
     The question you need to be asking, is will Florida allow a non-resident to take a driver ed class.

I think the state would have possible Constitutional problems if it discriminated against out-of-state drivers in that fashion. 

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 12:13 PM In reply to

ctsvcoupe:
    I assume even though I have an ohio drivers license, that the points will go on that and my insurance will find out if I waive it and pay, correct?

Eventually, probably.

ctsvcoupe:
    Should I go back to florida and fight it?

If you have no basis to fight the ticket, then the cost of traveling back to FL to fight it would be a waste of money.  Your post suggests you have no basis to fight it.

ctsvcoupe:
    I see if you take a driver education class, they will withhold the adjudication and the points... but does that work if I have an ohio drivers license?

I can't see why it wouldn't.  Might be worth consulting with a local attorney to be sure.

ctsvcoupe:
    What should I Do?

Not something that anonymous strangers should be deciding for you.

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 12:15 PM In reply to

ctsvcoupe:
    I have a friend that lives down there. I guess I can always go down, swap my license from florida to ohio and then submit the driver course.

Huh?  You can't "swap [your] license from [F]lorida to [O]hio" (or vice versa, which is what I assume you meant) unless you change your residence.

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 12:18 PM In reply to

• ctsvcoupe
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 3

I have residence in both locations. I've swapped my license from Texas to Ohio numerous times.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community