Intercontinental harassment

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Apr 11 2017 1:44 PM by ca19lawyer2. 2 replies.
  • Tue, Apr 11 2017 12:00 PM

Intercontinental harassment

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice. I live in Amsterdam in the Netherlands and my ex boyfriend lives in Texas. I have not seen him for over a year and have not communicated with him for around 6 months. However, he is harassing me by calling me, emailing me 5 times per day, emailing me at work, trying to contact my friends, sending my family members Christmas gifts, sending me things by mail to my work address etc. it is relentless.

I have been clear I do not want him to contact me, but he continues to do so. Is there anything I can do about this? It is surely harassment. He's emailed me at least 300 times in the last 6 months, and if I block his email addresses, he seems to just make new ones and gets his friends to email me too who then accuse me of being a liar and other less nice things. 

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Tue, Apr 11 2017 12:56 PM In reply to

Re: Intercontinental harassment

DanniMonroe:
    He's emailed me at least 300 times in the last 6 months, and if I block his email addresses, he seems to just make new ones and gets his friends to email me too who then accuse me of being a liar and other less nice things. 

So change your email address, give it only to those who you trust and who need it. You can do the same with your cell phone number.  Send the stuff back or just refuse delivery.   A no-contact order in your country would do you no good since he has to be there for them to have jurisdiction.  A restraining order in TX would require your presence in TX and then if he violated it, you'd have to return to pursue any charges and that's assuming a TX court felt it had the power to order him not to contact someone not even in the US.  Best to just change what you can and hope he takes the hint.

• Tue, Apr 11 2017 1:44 PM In reply to

Re: Intercontinental harassment

DanniMonroe:
    he is harassing me by calling me

Change your phone number or contact your service provider about how to block his calls.

DanniMonroe:
    emailing me 5 times per day

. . .

He's emailed me at least 300 times in the last 6 months, and if I block his email addresses, he seems to just make new ones and gets his friends to email me too

Block his and his friends' e-mail addresses and/or change YOUR e-mail address or simply delete anything they send you without reading it.

DanniMonroe:
    emailing me at work

Speak to whomever manages the e-mail system for your employer about blocking his e-mail address.

DanniMonroe:
    trying to contact my friends

Saying that he is "trying to contact [your] friends" implies that he has not been successful (otherwise, you'd have said he is "contacting my friends," as opposed to "trying to contact").  That being the case, unsuccessful attempts to contact persons other than yourself hardly constitute harassment of you.

DanniMonroe:
    sending my family members Christmas gifts

How exactly does "sending [your] family members Christmas gifts" (something which obviously would have happened four months ago) constitute harassment of you?

DanniMonroe:
    sending me things by mail to my work address etc.

You are, of course, free to throw anything from him directly in the trash.  One would assume that he will eventually grow tired of paying whatever it costs to ship these things internationally.

DanniMonroe:
    Is there anything I can do about this?

There is no legal remedy available to you that will be any better than the practical suggestions above.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community