Television taken from me!!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Apr 24 2017 11:43 AM by ca19lawyer2. 5 replies.
  • Tue, Apr 18 2017 9:35 AM

• Terrell19
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 18 2017
    • NV
    • Posts 1

Television taken from me!!

Me and my girlfriend recently seperated but while we were together we lived together. Last year she was out of work so i payed over $2,000 in bills for her until she got on her feet again. She saw how much stress it caused and offered to pay me back. Instead of having her pay me back i said she could just buy me a tv as a gift when she has the money. A month or so ago she bought me the tv. Last friday while i was at work her and her family moved all of her stuff out and took some of my things as well including the tv. Doesnt the law protect gifts? Also, when we purchased the tv it was to big to fit in the car so we had to ship it to the house. They had to do a new transaction for this. Instead of them returning the money to her card they put the amount on a gift card and put the order in my name. So the paper and online receipt shows that i purchased he TV with a goft card. Can she legally take the TV?

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 1:39 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 1 2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,359

Re: Television taken from me!!

You can always take her to small claims court for the return of the TV or for the value of same, and then see what happens. But, this one is and will be a lot of he said/she said. I would not hold my breath. You were living together, but you were not married. Presumably, you both watched it while together. Ergo, marital property division rules will not apply here. Frankly, to me this one looks like something from which you both benefitted. 

Given your living situation at the time, the police will not get involved. 

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 2:30 PM In reply to

It sounds like it was your TV and a gift. So you can sue her for the value of the TV. Your paperwork trail though might be hard to prove.

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 4:07 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,401

IF you are confident you can show it was your property as puchased or as a completed gift you might want to,consider a  theft report to police ..10:1they dust it off as a  lovers spat.  Then again they might not. 

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:29 PM In reply to

Terrell19:
    Can she legally take the TV?

No, it's not legal for her to take something she gave you without your agreeing to give it back to her.  Have you tried asking her to bring it back?  It could be that someone in her family took it by mistake, thinking it belonged to her.

• Mon, Apr 24 2017 11:43 AM In reply to

Terrell19:
    Doesnt the law protect gifts?

As phrased, this question doesn't make much sense, but it seems to be basically the same question as the other questionin your post.

Terrell19:
    So the paper and online receipt shows that i purchased he TV with a goft card. Can she legally take the TV?

Based on your one-sided description of the evidence, if you sue her to get it back, you should prevail.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community