The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Termination of lease

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, May 9 2017 8:22 AM by Standing. 21 replies.
  • Thu, May 4 2017 6:44 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Re: Termination of lease

Unless you are an expert at FL law as to notice , I strongly suggest you use hard copy notice properly worded and dated and delivered. PLUS your email version.    Failure to give proper notice is deadly !

As a LL, I think too much notice gives a tenant too much time to be a pain and other things. .

IF your law or lease require say 15 days I might give 25 days to be sure I'm covered. 

• Thu, May 4 2017 7:14 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 16 2007
    • PA
    • Posts 327

I will give her the legal minimum which according to Florida law I think is 60 days for one year lease. That's what I think it is even though lease itself states I can show condo to prospective buyers 30 days before lease is up but when I checked FL law I believe it said 60 days notice is required for annual lease. It's just hard to know what to do since I know she'll be in a bind so I'm torn but even this stress I don't need of having to tell her to go. Thanks for answer.

• Thu, May 4 2017 8:24 PM In reply to

Standing:
    I read statutes and believe I have to give 60 days notice for annual lease.

If the lease says 30 days then that's the rule that applies.  Under the statute, if the lease had required MORE than 60 days, that would not have been enforceable in Florida and the notice requirement would default to 60 days.  But you said your lease only required 30 days.

• Mon, May 8 2017 12:50 PM In reply to

Standing:
    lease itself states I can show condo to prospective buyers 30 days before lease is up

This has been bugging me:  is that the lease wording that you believe constitutes a 30-day notice requirement?  Because that's not what that is.

If you have a one-year lease that does not say anything at all about lease renewals or termination notices, then there is NO legal requirement to "notify" the other party of the end of the lease.  The lease already says when it ends.

Section 83.575 of the Florida Statutes is for situations where the lease says it renews automatically (whether for another full year or for a month at a time or whatever else) unless either party notifies the other that they don't want it to renew automatically after all.  That kind of provision is quite common in apartment-complex leases.

• Mon, May 8 2017 8:29 PM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 327

Yes. You are motivating me to call office tomorrow, they have a copy of the lease and I will check to make sure of wording. I was thinking I read in FL law that 60 days notice was required for annual lease but I will make sure exactly what lease states.

• Tue, May 9 2017 8:10 AM In reply to

Standing:
    I was thinking I read in FL law that 60 days notice was required for annual lease

If you are referring to what it says in section 83.57, to fully understand that section you have to look at section 83.46(2) and (3), to which section 83.57 includes a link.

If you do so, you will see that (2) is where your lease has no specific duration and the rent is collected once a year, and that (3) is where the lease has no specific duration and no rent is collected because the rental is part of an employment relationship.

• Tue, May 9 2017 8:22 AM In reply to

• Standing
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 327

Ok. I just called office and they are good enough to send me copy by email. I'll let you know exactly what it says about termination. Thanks! You guys are great!

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community