Buying Music to Use in Podcast

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, May 15 2017 12:51 PM by ShawnQuestion. 2 replies.
  • Thu, May 4 2017 1:54 PM

Buying Music to Use in Podcast

Hello wonderful people,

I host a podcast and wanted to have some intro music that would play at the beginning of each episode (as well as transition and outro music music at the end). It would get pretty expensive if I had to pay music royalties each time my podcast is downloaded.

1) Would you recommend I just buy the master and publishing rights from the music producer?

2) And if I do that, I wouldn't be obligated to pay mechanical royalties or any other future royalties to the original artist/writers/publishers, right?

3) Lastly, if I do buy the master and publishing from the original composer, could I run into trouble in the future if I credited them (eg, saying "theme music by [name of original composer])? I was thinking of a scenario where this person sues me in the future and their lawyer uses me giving them credit as support that they own the rights.

Thanks a ton for your help! I really do appreciate it.

Shawn

• Thu, May 4 2017 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: Buying Music to Use in Podcast

ShawnQuestion:
    Would you recommend I just buy the master and publishing rights from the music producer?

No one here is going to recommend anything.  However, I can provide a fair amount of information.  First of all, unless you're looking to use something well known, there are companies from whom you can obtain rights to use "stock music," so that may be the way to go for you.  Second, buying publishing rights would be more than you need.  What you need are licenses for the musical composition and and sound recording copyrights.  The musical composition copyright is typically owned the songwriter(s) or publishing company(ies) that administer their rights.  The sound recording copyright is typically owned by the record company.  In the case of digital audio transmissions, you need to license both copyrights.  The music producer rarely owns any interest in any copyright (unless the producer is also credited as a songwriter or somehow negotiates for a share of the copyright, which is pretty uncommon).

ShawnQuestion:
    And if I do that, I wouldn't be obligated to pay mechanical royalties or any other future royalties to the original artist/writers/publishers, right?

Yes, if you actually purchased the copyrights, you wouldn't have to pay royalties.

ShawnQuestion:
    Lastly, if I do buy the master and publishing from the original composer, could I run into trouble in the future if I credited them (eg, saying "theme music by [name of original composer])?

"Run into trouble" is fairly broad, but merely crediting the songwriter(s) and/or recording artist(s) wouldn't violate any intellectual property rights.

ShawnQuestion:
    I was thinking of a scenario where this person sues me in the future and their lawyer uses me giving them credit as support that they own the rights.

I suppose this could be a concerning argument if, when you purchase the copyrights, you fail to document your purchase correctly and fail to file the appropriate paperwork with the copyright office.  However, if you do all of that correctly, then this sort of thing wouldn't be a concern.

• Mon, May 15 2017 12:51 PM In reply to

Re: Buying Music to Use in Podcast

Thanks so much for your help! And just to clarify, by producer I meant "writer" of the music (ie, person who created the music). 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community